Tips for Teaching Division - Out of the four basic mathematical operations, the majority of the children struggle with the division. Teaching and learning division can seem like a challenge, but there are easy ways to make kids grasp this concept. Below we have discussed a few tips that will significantly help your children in conceptualizing division. Division: as a way of sharing - It is easier to grasp the concepts of division if it is presented as a way of sharing. Start teaching division as a set of objects distributed among a group in equal numbers. While 15/5 can be confusing, distributing 15 chocolates to 5 friends is simpler for kids to understand. Dividing into small groups - Demonstrate your children how to divide large sets into smaller groups. Then ask them to do the same. You can give them groups of a variety of objects and ask them to divide them into sets of various sizes. Employ different manipulatives and worksheets or household items to conduct these activities. Familiarity with a division symbol - Most of us do not realize the significance of this step and tend to overlook it. Before your children start doing division problems, make sure they are familiar with the symbol of division. Instruct them on how to use common symbols of division. For instance, 12 divided by 2 can be represented as 12 / 2 or 12 ÷ 2. The way the standards are setup, many division based skills are found in our basic math operations page. In this section you will find materials that specifically focus on division with no tie into any other operations.
- Beginning Long Division - We show students how to approach and complete problems that take many steps to complete.
- Division and Finding Unknown Factors - We are not just trying to solve basic problems with these worksheets. The goal is to find the missing dividend or divisor.
- Division as Sharing - The is the fundamental point of what this operation attempts to do.
- Division of Large Numbers - This is long division to the max.
- Division Mystery Pictures - A really fun way to review this operation.
- Division Word Problems - The main premise here is to spread or share a value between multiple objects.
- Double Digit Division - When your divisor and dividend are both two-digit values.
- Long Division of Large Numbers - These are some very large values.
- Math Fact Families - A great way to introduce this skill.
- Practicing Long Division - Once you have long division down, it is time to see how far you can go with it.
- Simple Division with Remainders - A introduce to the concept of remainders.
- Single Into Double Digit Division - These do not result in remainders.
- Triple Digits Divided By Single Digits - The advanced sheets here may include remainders.
- Understanding Division of Integers - What does it mean and how do you perform these calculations?
- Understanding Divisibility Tables - This will help you become automatic with these skills.
- Visual Division - Pairing and sharing all day long.