Division of Large Numbers
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 5 Base Ten - 5.NBT.B.6
How to Divide Large Numbers - The word division refers to the distribution of anything among people or groups. The basic purpose of the division is to share something equally among people. This definition applies to smaller numbers to a great extent. But as you work your way up and move to higher grades, you will be encountered with greater problems and larger numbers. Remember that dividing large numbers doesn’t mean that you have to follow a different methodology. The division is the same as that of smaller numbers. For larger numbers, what we do is that we divide the number into smaller chunks or little pieces and then divide it by the divisor. For example: Consider that you have to divide 5328 by 98. Follow these steps to make your larger division easier. 1. Break the digit 5328 into small chunks while making sure that the first chunk stays greater than the divisor. 2. Now work out the table of 98 to bring out a number closer and lesser than 53. 3. Subtract the numbers and bring down the next number in line. 4. Repeat the process again till you get an answer or a remainder. Students learn how to divide very large numbers by much smaller numbers in this series of worksheets.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Single Into Four Step-by-Step Lesson- A four digit number divided by a single digit number.
- Guided Lesson -Lots of space for you to work with.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - You'll find three steps in this process.
- Matching Sheet - You will need a good deal of scrap paper for this sheet.
- Practice Worksheet - Be creative with the space that you have.
- Long Division of 4 Digit Numbers Worksheet - I made rectangular areas for the quotients to be solved within.
- 3 and 4 Digit into 4 Digit Division - Five practice pages of triple into quadruple digit numbers.
- Extended Long Division Lesson and Worksheet - See if you like the color scheme I put together.
- Long Division Practice Worksheet - Divide the two digit numbers into the five digit number.
- Long Division Practice Worksheet - More 2 into 5 digit integer practice.
The example will remind students of the skills they need in this set of activities for dividing large numbers.
- Homework 1 - See how many times you can fit 4 into 1,248.
- Homework 2 - There are a lot of fours in this example, for sure.
- Homework 3 - Check out this example. We purposely left off the overhang bar.
I made the problems fit just right so that you will see straight multiples within it.