Understanding Visual Fractions
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 3 Fractions - 3.NF.1
What Are Visual Fractions? - Without any doubt, we remember the things more that we see, or we remember them for the longest time. It becomes easier for us to comprehend things when they are in front of our eyes. Maybe that 's why visual effects are given importance when it comes to grabbing the attention of a reader or viewer. In mathematics, probably the hardest to comprehend are fractions. Are you nodding your head in, yes? Then let 's jump into making fractions easier for you to understand. To understand them and solve them quickly, there is a term known as 'Visual Fractions' that can help you understand a complex part of the whole. Representing it with a picture is known as a visual fraction. For example, 3/4 of a pizza is eaten. How will you express it? It is how you will represent the eaten area one of the pizza visually. The representation helps in a better understanding of what is going on, and hence, adding or subtracting in these values becomes easy. With these worksheets students are able to see through images what a fraction actually represents.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Write the Fraction Step-by-step
Lesson- You have a visual fraction in the form of a model. Write
the fraction that the model represents.
- Parts of Fractions Lesson- We show you visually what a describe value looks like in a matrix of rows and columns.
- Guided Lesson - We go from models to numeric written value and then back to models that you can draw.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - This was very easy to write up because the visuals are right there in front of you.
- Coloring Fractions - Color the shapes to match the values you are presented with.
- Color Fractions Objects and Shapes - Given a blank series of images you will color those images to depict a fractional value.
- Making Fractions Practice Worksheet -Draw the fractional value that you are presented with in a way that makes sense.
- Making Fractions Practice Worksheet Answer Key - Answers for the above sheet.
- Practice Worksheet - Color the shapes to match the fractions.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the fraction of colored squares to the fraction that they represent.
- Writing Fractions Practice Worksheet 1 - What is the equivalent fraction to the drawing?
- Practice Worksheet 2 - Same deal, but all rectangles. Great for students who need more concrete work.
- Visual Fractions 5-Pack - Create and make equivalent and improper fractions.
- Shade and Reduce Fractions 5-Pack - Represent a drawing of the fraction and then reduce them.
- Fraction, Words, Picture Match 5-Pack - A real nice way to review.
- Color Modeling 5 Pack - Time to draw in the boxes to show each fraction.
- Modeling Fractional Values 5 Pack - Basically the exact opposite of the last 5 pack. In this one, you name the value.
Parts of wholes, naming fractions, and a neat take on sentences to fractions.
- Homework 1- Color the shapes to represent the fractions listed below.
- Homework 2- Name the fraction that is shown.
- Homework 3- Jerry ordered food for several classes. Mr. Adams had 5 sandwiches. Mrs. Jones had 9 sandwiches. Ms. Kylie has 6 sandwiches. Which teacher ordered the greatest share of the sandwiches? Write a fraction to represent their share.
The first two have you color in a fraction and the last one asks you to interpret the color pattern.
Math Skill Quizzes
The first quiz covers every skill for the standard. The second quiz just focuses on drawing fractions.
- Quiz 1- Jessica, Sally, and Pepper have to sell a full book of raffle tickets. Jessica sells 12 raffle tickets. Sally sells 8 raffle tickets. Pepper sells 10 raffle tickets. They still have 5 raffle tickets left to sell.
- Quiz 2- Color the models to represent the given fractions.