Measuring Time in Words
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 2 Measurement - 2.MD.C.7
How to Measure Time in Words - Do you know how to look at the clock and tell the time? We know that every day consists of 24 hours, and these 24 hours are divided into 12-hour increments. These hours are eventually divided into minutes and seconds. When a period of time that covers sixty minutes is known as an hour and a time period that consists of sixty seconds is known as a minute. When we look at the clock, we see two needles pointing at specific numbers and noting the time gets easier. We can easily grasp that if the big hand is pointing at 6 and the small hand is pointing at 5, its 6:25. But how do we say it in words? To make things easier, we have made a few terms that make measuring time in words easier. For example, if the clock shows 6:15, we say its quarter to six. If the clock shows 5:30, we say that it is half-past five. If the clock shows 12:00, we say it is twelve o'clock. This is how the numbers go, make sure you know how to measure time in words too! This selection of lessons and worksheets teaches students how read, write, and interpret measures of time in written form.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Time in Words Step-by-Step Lesson- On top of naming times, we work the halves and quarters of a clock. The pictures really help a great deal.
- Guided Lesson - Practice using the concepts and phrases of halves, quarters, past and to.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - We do a vocabulary review to kick this on off.
- Practice Worksheet - Time to words and then words to time.
- Matching Worksheet - Find the times that match up with the words and the phrases.
- By 5 Minutes Practice Worksheet - The clocks are all set in intervals of 5 minutes.
- By 5 Minutes Lesson - Kids love this one. I have used it with seventh graders and they all don't get hundreds; so read carefully.
- Matching Time to Words 5 Pack - Five pages of time and word matches.
- By Fifteen Minutes Lesson - A good lesson on the concepts of quarters.
- By Fifteen Minutes Practice Worksheet - At least you know the answer for minutes has to be just one of three possible choices.
- By Thirty Minutes Lesson - Another refresher on the hour and minute hand.
- By Thirty Minutes Practice Worksheet - It's either 30 after or a whole hour.
- Half Hour Lesson and Practice - Again we review half hours. Kids have a lot of trouble on this skill.
- Half Hour Practice Worksheet - Find the half hours. Basically it should be called write down thirty after the indicated hour.
- Half and Whole Hour Practice Worksheet - We mix the skills we have been working on.
- Whole Hour Lesson - Yet another review for everyone to work with.
- Whole Hour Practice Worksheet - Write the hour followed by double zero.
- Hour Hand Practice Worksheet - Draw the big and little hand.
A.M. vs. P.M. is the big take away here.
- Homework 1 - The time in words would be half-past two o'clock.
- Homework 2 - Write the time indicated in number format.
- Homework 3 - We have to write this as digits. Ten indicates 10 minutes until the hour that follows.
Don't forget to review some basic vocabulary like noon, midnight, midday.