Single Digit Subtraction
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 1 Operations - 1.OA.A.1
Tips for learning Single Digit Subtraction - As much as you enjoy addition, subtraction might not be that easy and fun for you. If you are someone who only enjoys addition and not subtraction, then let us tell you within a few minutes you will start loving and enjoying subtraction sums too. Let's learn with the basic subtraction problems, which are the single-digit problems. You can encounter single digit subtraction sums horizontally as well as vertically. They can be written as 3 – 2 or you can find them written as one over the other; with the 3 on top and the 2 on the bottom. Follow these tips to learn subtraction of single digits: Organize the problem. Write the bigger number above the smaller number. Make sure that both the numbers lie in the same column. Now draw lines beside the numbers and then count till the smaller number to cross the lines, or You can count from the smaller number till the bigger number on your fingertips to get the answer. Write down the answer in line with the above two digits. A collection of worksheets and lessons that help students learn to master the ability to find the difference between two single digit numbers.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Backwards Counting Step-by-Step Lesson- We show you how counting and subtraction relate.
- Guided Lesson - A set of three very simple problems for you and plenty of space to work with.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - I use the backwards counting method. Just another trick they can use.
- Practice Worksheet - Ten well spaced out problems to practice with.
- Matching Worksheet - Horizontal set ups for you to match the differences and operations.
- Worksheet Five Pack - A five pack of the integers 0 to 9 subtraction.
- Using a Numbers Line to Subtract Lesson and Practice - Working with a numbers line does make it pretty simple.
- Numbers Line Subtraction Worksheet - This is for advanced students. It includes negative numbers.
- Number Line Subtraction Five Pack - Only one number line is provided with each sheet here.
- Subtraction with the Integers 0 to 9 Five Pack - A little drill and kill is always great for skills.
I stick mainly with vertical subtraction as it is key at these early levels.
- Step-by-Step Lesson 1 - A quick way to work with it.
- Step-by-Step Lesson 2 - A slightly different strategy for students.
- Step-by-Step Lesson 3 - See if you like the rewording here. This is short and sweet.
- Lesson 4 - We revert back to counting backwards.
- Subtraction Word Problems Guided Lesson - A great way to transition to using math sentences.
A number of quick rapid fire worksheets for you here.