Describing and Comparing Measurements
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Kindergarten - MD.1
How to Describe Measurements - This discipline of Science is filled with different forms of measurements. Many times, students aren't able to understand what measurements are. They tend to get confused that results in mixing up their pre-developed concepts about measurements. In order not to get into a situation like this one, it is crucial to understand the definition of measurement. And every student must tell how to define measurements. How to define measurements? Measurement can be defined as the act of determining the depth, capacity, length, weight, height or any other capacity of a target. A number of terms are similar to measurement, but they vary according to the problem it is measured in. Generally defining, measurement is an action defined in the term of the instrument. The common measurements are: Length: It is a linear measurement of anything from end to end. The linear measurement means you can use it to measure the distance between two points.Width: It is the measurement of something from side to side. Height: It is the measurement of something from head to toe. Depth: It is the measurement of something from the top of the surface to the bottom. These worksheets teach students how to describe measurements they have made and how to compare them to others.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Describing Measurements Step-by-step Lesson-
We compare standard block units to a nice granny smith apple. We
also tell time.
- Describing Measurements Guided
Lesson - Compare star units to the height of people. Order the
heights of boy, girl, and man.
- Describing Measurements Guided
Lesson Explanation- I go in detail with arrows. Rulers are great
to have when you are working on things like this.
- Comparing Measurements of My
Friends Worksheet - I start to pull away from visuals with this
one. I focus on using measurement digits to compare.
- Label Length and Weight of the Creatures Worksheet - Which measurement is height and which is the weight. I actually researched the weights and heights to make them realistic. The alien is just a hunch though.
- Measuring Objects with Paper clips Worksheet - Compare the various items to paper clips and boxes.
- What Hour Is It? Worksheet - Tell the time to the nearest hour on the analog clock. I was blown away when I saw my Kindergarten grand daughter has ease with this skill.
- Length of Animals Guided Lesson Explanation- Arrows and lines speak volumes for this skill.
- Length of Animals Guided Lesson - We give you a block set and ask you to compare the duck, dog, and handyman to it.
- Assigning Relative Height Measurements Guided Explanation - The tall dragon really looks in love.
- Assigning Relative Height Measurements Guided Lesson - You have to love the objects I picked out for this one.
- Label Length and Weight Worksheet- This is pretty advanced for this grade level. I thought it was good to have around for your quick learners.
- Measuring Objects Horizontally Worksheet- Measuring anything horizontally is a little abstract for young students at first.
- Measuring Objects Vertically Worksheet- This is definitely the orientation of measurement you want to start them off with.
- Clock Quick Reading Worksheet- The hands on this clock are truly hands indeed.
- Describing Length Measurements Step by Step Lesson- Compare the length of the robot to the block set that he has.
- What Hour Is It? Worksheet- We are only focused on the hour hand here.