Working with Ones, Tens, Hundreds, and Thousands* Blocks
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 2 Base Ten - 2.NBT.A.1
What Are Ones, Tens, and Hundreds' Blocks in Math? Learning place values, number concepts, and mathematical operations are the bases of getting a grip on mathematics. A hands-on way of developing a solid understanding of place values is to play around with blocks of ones, tens and hundreds. Blocks can help you develop a thorough understanding of the mathematical concepts, particularly place values. Therefore, it is imperative to understand what are ones, tens, and hundreds' blocks in math. One's blocks Blocks of ones are single, small blocks of side 1cm each. These blocks look like cubes and provide a hands-on way to solve one-digit sums. They represent the ones/unit position of a digit in a number. Tens blocks A block of tens is a longer, slender block made up of ten small ones blocks combined or attached together. The dimension of a tens block is; 1cm x 1cm x 10cm. These blocks of tens represent place value of tens in a two or more digits' number. Hundred blocks A block of hundred is made up of 10 slender blocks of tens or 100 small cubes of ones, making a large flat block of hundreds. This flat, square block measure 1 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm. They are commonly used to represent a hundredth place value in a digit and help in quick additions of numbers. A great selection of worksheets that use place value blocks to help students learn the ones, tens, and hundred place values.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Step-by-step Lesson-
The lesson provides a full key and focuses on Ones, Tens, and Hundreds.
- Guided Lesson -Four
problems working up to the hundreds place.
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- We first count the number of total values presented and then multiply
by their place.
- Practice Worksheet 1
- Follows along with the ones, tens, and hundreds model.
- * Advanced Worksheet - This moves to the thousands place. This is outside of the scope of the standard.
Working with Ones, Tens, and Hundreds Blocks Sheets
- Practice 2 - Find the value of each group of base 10 blocks.
- Practice 3 - Another version with many more hundreds places.
- Practice 4 - Okay, there are just too many hundreds places here.
*Ones, Tens, Hundreds, and Thousands Blocks Practice Worksheets* - Beyond Standard
- Blocks Quiz 1- The totals here are very large.
- Ones, Tens, Hundreds, and Thousands Blocks Practice Quiz 2- Base ten all comes from this skill.
- Ones, Tens, Hundreds, and Thousands Blocks Practice Quiz 3- This is the easiest of the bunch.