Reading Data Tables
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 2 Measurement - 2.MD.D.10
What are Data Tables? Understanding data using visual representation helps understand the information better and more efficiently. Using tables for representing data can help connect the dots for students at early stage of math. Data tables have variety of applications in the professional world like politics, science, and finance. Tables allow large amount of numeric data to be represent in a more understandable manner. It helps people understand data conveniently. A data table compiles data in the simplest of forms for representing the data. It uses rows and columns for data interpretation. For instance, the table provided below shows the average number of visitors on two different lakes over the period of eight years. Looking at the rows and columns you can see that every single row corresponds to a different year and every column represent a different lake. Students can use these worksheets and lessons to learn how to understand and use data tables.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Bakery Sales Step-by-Step Lesson- We look at the sales of items in a bakery.
- Guided Lesson - We guide you through the sales of soft drinks, cakes, and chocolates.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - This is pretty much all about totals.
- Practice Worksheet -Gift shop sales and following the Science grades over four semesters.
- Matching Worksheet - This is a real interesting one. I actually ran into this scenario of chart reading when I was at my nephew's hockey tournament.
- Reading Tables Five Pack - A ton of practice for you. You should find this really helpful.
- Favorite Fruit Data Chart Worksheet - When am I ever going to let this fruit topic go? I'm not sure.
- The Snack Data Chart Worksheet - These are actual numbers. I only gave the kids the same three choices though when presenting it.
This skill lends itself to sales volume. So we run with it!
- Homework 1 - What was the total number of Watches sold in February?
- Homework 2 - What was the most popular subject in class X?
- Homework 3 - How many people chose tablets as their favorite gadget?
Interpret all of the little scenarios along the way.
Math Skill Quizzes
See if you can make sense of the mini charts we have here. I was trying something new with these.