Fractions of Integers
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 6 Numbers - 6.NS.A.1
How to Find the Fraction of an Integer - A fraction is a common method that is used for expressing rational numbers which are not whole numbers. Fraction can be used for determining the partial value of rational numbers. The concept of fractions is taught generally at the grade school level and mastered before advancing into more difficult math stages. Identifying the components of a fraction is also important. Fraction is defined by the expression a/b. Here a and b are integers, and within the fraction a is the numerator and b is the denominator. In order to find the fraction of an integer, you need to calculate the fraction of a whole number by multiplying that number by its numerator and then dividing that product with the denominator. Thus, the fraction a/b of a whole number x is given by ax/b. Let's try to understand that with the help of an example. 3/4 of 21 is 3 multiplied by 21 and then divided by 4 or in simple terms, 63/4. This is called an improper fraction because here the numerator is bigger than the denominator. This selection of worksheets and lessons shows students how to find the fractional value of an integer. We do this by breaking them into shared groups.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Fractions of Wholes Step-by-Step Lesson- I like to think about this type of problem as breaking things into groups.
- Guided Lesson - We start to pick apart larger numbers.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - This sets up a nice set of routines to help students complete it.
- Horizontal Worksheet 5 Pack -This makes for a great rapid fire exercise with students.
- Practice Worksheet - I tried to class this worksheet up with a suit.
- Matching Worksheet - Don't get tricked on number 6.
- Fractions of Whole Numbers Five Pack - We introduce some top heavy fractions to this.
- Connecting Fractions to Integers Lesson and Practice - There are visuals to go along with each and every problem.
- Fractions of Numbers Lesson - We ask you to finalize the number as mixed number.
- Ordering the Value of Fractions Worksheet - A comparison activity that helps put everything about this skill into perspective.
- The Relationship of Fractions and Integers Worksheet - I have to admit that this is a pretty cool activity.
We start with straight up problems and then number 3 shifts their whole mind set.
- Homework 1 - What is 1/6 of 36?
- Homework 2 - Multiply 3/6 by 4 to find this one.
- Homework 3 - If you divide something into two of the equal parts, then either part is one-second of the whole.
I like to get them in the habit of just using products to help them solve these.