Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 4 Geometry - 4.G.A.3
How to Determine What is Half of Something - Leaning quick mathematical skills is essential to establish a logical understanding of the subject. Thus, there are different skills that you want your students to learn such as a halving a number. When you half a number, you're basically dividing it by 2. However, you must keep in mind that not all numbers can be divided easily. There can be odd numbers or even decimal numbers; so, you must teach them how to half a number without taking much time or using a calculator. Here are two things that you must keep in mind when you are dividing an odd or decimal number. Firstly, for an odd number, you can either subtract one or add one to make it an even number. For example, number 35. Here, we will subtract the number by 1 and it will become 34. You can divide it by 2 to get an answer 17. Now, the original number was 35, so you can divide the subtracted number (1), by 2 to get 0.5. You can then add 0.5 to 17 for an answer. For a decimal number, you can similarly roundoff the number to the nearest ones or tens. Like, let's take 12.5 as an example. You can round it off to 13 and then you can divide it by 2 by the above method. You get an answer of 6.5. Now, in this scenario, you can divide 0.5 by 2 to get 0.25, which you can subtract from 6.5 to get an answer 6.25. These worksheets and lessons will help students learn how to accurately determine half of the length of an object.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Tree Split Step-by-Step Lesson- Imagine if you had the biggest axe in the world. How would you split the tree in two?
- Guided Lesson - We go past just visuals and start to find midpoints of number pairs.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - Arrows and number lines really help students understand this stuff well.
- Practice Worksheet - From sequences to bunnies to shirts and guitars; we cover it all.
- Halfway Between Numbers Practice and Lesson - This is for kids that have trouble after you move to independent practice. This should shore it up for them.
- Halfway Practice Worksheet - What number is halfway between these two?
- Determining the Halfway Mark Five Pack - We give you two numbers. You need to find the midway point of the two numbers in a straight sequence.
- Matching Worksheet - Find the middle number in a sequence.
This actually a pretty difficult skill for students to get. I suggest starting with the visuals and moving to the number sets.
- Objects Homework 1 - Remember, the two pieces must be of equal size. Divide the crown into two equal parts using a dotted line.
- Counting Homework 2 - Write down all the numbers those come in between the numbers 2 and 10.
- Objects Homework 3 - Divide the given watch into two equal parts by writing a dotted line.
I really tried to make these questions in such a way that you are required to think just a little bit harder.
Math Skill Quizzes
I kept all the unique skills with their own topic for the quizzes because many teachers requested it that way. I had them mixed in the past; it didn't work well at all.
- Numbers Quiz 1 - We can move the line in many different orientations, but only one will make it equal on both sides. I like to think about folding both sides on to each other.
- Objects Quiz 2 - Remember, the two pieces must be of equal size. Divide the apple into two equal parts using a dotted line.
- Numbers Quiz 3 - Find the number which comes in the middle of this series when we divide it into two equal parts.