The Measure of Center of Data Sets
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 6 Statistics - 6.SP.A.3
How to Measure the Center of Data Sets? When analyzing data sets, one of the most important quantities that you have to calculate is the center of data sets. The center of the data is a way to describe a location in the data set. There are two commonly used measures of centers of data sets, including mean and median. Mean is also widely referred to as the average value of the data. Kids can refer to average as the arithmetic mean. Both of these terms represent the same value. To measure the mean, you have to add all the values in the data set and divide the sum of these values by the total number of values. Mean= (Sum of all values) / (Total number of values) Median is the second center that we can measure in a data set. As compared to mean, the median is a better measure of center and is used all as the data set center all around the world. The calculating median is simple; you find out the term number and locate the median. Median= (Total number of terms) / 2
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- 7 Pieces of Data Step-by-step
Lesson- From just 7 simple pieces of data we find a how bunch
of answers to questions.
- Guided Lesson - Launching
web sites, shopping for LCDs, and bananas for everybody. How fun!
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- You should find these pretty easy to follow and understand.
- Practice Worksheet -
This one is a whole lot of data to sift through and make sense of.
- Matching Worksheet - Great for a quick wrap up or "remember me" worksheet.
Time to get critical about the data that we see here.
- Homework 1 - Jerry sold burgers. He sold the following number of burgers over the last 7 days: 21, 33, 50, 42, 52, 20, 30.
- Homework 2 - In the past five days, John recorded the number of daily visitors to his website: 45, 46, 63, 112, and 95.
- Homework 3 - Mrs. Smith has an ice cream shop. She sold this many ice creams over the last 9 days. 20, 32, 35, 40, 25, 45, 50, 55, 60. What is range of the data set?
These get progressively easier. I didn't intend for that to happen; it just did.
Math Skill Quizzes
There is a visual problem section with these problems.
- Quiz 1 - What was the median amount of juice available?
- Quiz 2 - The owner of a super market recorded the number of customers who came into his store each day.
- Quiz 3 - The owner of a store recorded the number of TVs sold over 6 days.