The Properties of Multiplication
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 4 Operations - 4.OA.1
What Are the Properties of Multiplication? Mathematics has been all about rules and laws since the ancient Greek-times. These are the laws that apply to the use of numbers. Applied to all mathematical operations, Multiplication has four basic properties that seem fairly obvious and help students in solving multiplication problems easily. So, let’s dive into the properties of this mathematical operation to understand the logic of this operation and make it more fun to solve. The four basic properties are Commutative, Associative, Multiplicative identity and Distributive properties. Commutative property: This property says that when two digits are multiplied, the result or the product is the same irrespective of the arrangement of the numbers/ multiplicands. For example, 6 x 2 = 2 x 12 Associative Property: The associative property focuses on the multiplication of 3 or more digits. It says that when three or more than 3 numbers are multiplied, the result coming out is the same irrespective of the arrangement or grouping of the numbers. For example, (4 x 2) x 5 = 4 x (2 x 5) Multiplicative Identity Property: Any number multiplied by 1 is the same number. For example, 7 x 1 = 7 Distributive property: Sum of two digits multiplied by a third digit equals to the sum of each addend multiplied with that third number. For example, 3 x (2 + 4) = 3 x 2 + 3 x 4 The worksheets on this page will help students to become comfortable with the properties of multiplication.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Which Property Step-by-Step
Lesson- Figure out which property is being displayed.
- Guided Lesson -
Tell us which of the choices displays the commutative property and
we have you put operations into words.
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- This one is short and sweet because you really need to understand
your properties to answer these.
- Practice Worksheet -
Let's play "Name that property"! You will get a good helping
with this one.
- Visual Multiplication
Lesson - This is a basic level sheets to prep you for more difficult
Picture Multiplication 5-Pack - We work with small products
Multiplication 5-Pack - A slight variation of what we previously
- Distributive Property
Five Worksheet Pack - Rewrite everything using the distributive
- Visual Multiplication
Independent Practice Worksheet - A great practice sheet for
- Matching Worksheet - Match the property to the operations set.
We pick out all the different properties from a series of multiple choice questions. Solid examples are provided to give students a reminder.
- Homework 1 - Which property of multiplication is displayed in this problem?
- Homework 2 - Which equation shows the commutative property of multiplication?
- Homework 3 - Which math sentence below indicates that 24 is 6 times as many as 4?
We follow a similar format to the homework section, but these are much more spaced out.
Math Skill Quizzes
I tried to give a mixed variety of questions for the quizzes.
- Quiz 1 - Which equation shows the distributive property of multiplication?
- Quiz 2 - Which property of addition is used in the following?
- Quiz 3 - Determine which letter best represents the distributive property of Multiplication.