Place Values - Ones, Tens, and Hundreds Worksheets
What are the place values (Ones, Tens, Hundreds)? The concept of place values is crucial to understand numbers and counting in mathematics. Every digit in math has a place value, and this value is determined by the position of the digit in a number. Understanding place values will help you write numbers in their expanded forms. Here is an example of an expanded form; 13,548 = 10,000 + 3,000 + 500 + 40 + 8. Taking the number 597, for example. Each digit in the number 597 holds a unique position and value. 5: The first digit in the number is five, which sits at the hundred's position. 9: The second digit in the number is 9, which sits at the ten's position. 7: The third digit in the number is 7, which sits at the unit's position. Hundred's Place The digit on the hundred's place tells the number of hundreds in a number. In the number 597 there are five hundreds; 100+100+100+100+100=500 Ten's Place The digit on the ten's place tells the number of tens in a number. In the number 597 there are nine tens; 10+10+10+10+10+10+10+10+10=90 Unit's Place The last digit in every number tells the number of ones in a number. In the number 597 there are seven ones; 1+1+1+1+1+1+1=7 The expanded form of 597 is; 597=500+90+7 With this large collection of worksheets students learn the concept and use of the first three place values.
Aligned Standard: Grade 2 Base Ten - 2.NBT.1
- Step-by-step Lesson- Match the model that includes hundreds, tens, and ones pieces; to the number 257.
- Adding 100s and 10s Worksheet- We use very subtle visuals to give students a different frame of reference here.
- Base Ten and Hundreds Blocks Worksheet- Count the visuals of the ones, tens, and hundreds.
- Working With Ones, Tens, and Hundreds Blocks Worksheet- This is more of an explanatory set with some practice problems.
- Guided Lesson -The skill is covered well. Identify place value, change numbers to tens and ones, and our friend the place value model pays us a visit.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - I like to use column boxes to explain place value.
- Practice Worksheet - Three pages of models. Find the numbers that all the models represent.
- Matching Worksheet - Find and match the models to the numbers and or words they represent.
- Answer Keys - These are for all the unlocked materials above.
We use place value boxes and models to help this skill sink in for students.
- Homework 1- What is the value of model below?
- Homework 2- Find the value of place value blocks.
- Homework 3- What is the value of the underlined digit?
I enlarged the size of all of these blocks. You should be able to easily tell the place values.
Math Skill Quizzes
Each quiz is a little different in format. I used the two common spatial models for place values too.