Measures of Length Word Problems
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 2 Measurement - 2.MD.2
These worksheets focus on word problems that include the use of measurements of length. Tips for Measures of Length Word Problems-
Word problems can be a bit difficult to solve, given they test our mathematical, grammatical, and logical understanding all at once. However, these problems are only intended to look complicated, but in reality, they are more straightforward once you understand what is being asked.
We will discuss how you can solve word problems that require measuring length. The standard unit of length is meter, and carrying out mathematical operations such as addition and subtraction is precisely the same in this case as in any other.
Tip number 1 is, using the vertical method for adding lengths
Tip number 2 is for length word problems that most students often struggle with.
You only add meters into meters and centimeters into centimeters.
Height of X is 3 m and 30 cm
Height of Y is 1 m and 15 cm
What is the difference between the two?
Here is how you do it:
2 15 ::: The difference between the two is 2 m and 15 cm.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Step-by-step Lesson- Relate
the length of a dog to standard measurement units.
- Guided Lesson
- Continuing on the same journey; how about the height of a child,
piece of candy, and a piece of wood?
- Guided Lesson
Explanation - I like to use the guided line method for explaining
this. Some people like to divide all the blocks too..
- Practice Worksheet
- Ten objects for you find the standard number of units of.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the object to the number of standard units they measure.
- Homework 1- How many units long is each object below?
- Homework 2- Use the boxes and underlines to help you determine how long each object is.
- Homework 3- How many units of width is each object?
- Quiz 1- Each square below represents a centimeter of distance. Write the length of the object below.
- Quiz 2- Each square represents a yard of distance. Write the length of the object below.
- Quiz 3- We float the ruler over top of the object this time.
These problems are more measurement driven than word problem focused.
Standard units are a big concept for students at this level.
Math Skill Quizzes
I find this to be the pivotal skill for this level. You will see more diverse questions on my next pass over grade 2.