Time Word Problems
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 3 Measurement - 3.MD.A.1
What is the Meaning of AM and PM in Time? Aren't clocks useful? They help you tell time! Whether you need to understand how much time is needed for you to complete your homework, or how much time is needed for you to finish lunch, being able to tell time is very important. When we are talking about what time of the day it is, we usually say its 3 pm or 8 am. But do you ever wonder what this am and pm means? Let's find out! Today, the clocks that we use divide the day into 12 hour time increments. Why is that? Because the number of hours in a day is 24 and thus, can be divided further into 12 hours. Isn't that odd? Because our clocks show time enough only for one of the 12-hour period. Hence, to solve this problem, two portions of 12 hours are shown on the analog by using the AM and PM suffixes. The word AM. is Latin for Ante Meridiem, which means before noon. The term PM is Latin for Post Meridieum, which means after noon. This is how both the 12-hour increments are displayed in the same analog. This selection of lessons and worksheets helps students learn how to breakdown and make sense of story based math problems that include an aspect of time within them.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Mark's Exercises- Mark starts his exercise at 6:45 p.m. He finished it at 8:25 p.m. How long does he take to exercise?
- Step-by-Step Lesson- How long does Mark do his exercises for?
- Guided Lesson - How long is the wrestling match, cooking and television watching taking?
- Guided Lesson Explanation - See if my explanation of how we circumvent the AM to PM switch works for you.
- Practice Worksheet - These questions took me a whole day. I hope it was well spent.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the event duration and the times in the different columns.
- Time Word Problems 5 Pack - Plenty of worksheets for you to work on this skill with.
- Back In Time Word Problems Five Pack of Worksheets - How long ago was that invented or did that event happen? These are all relative to the time given.
I had to rewrite number 3 several times. The wording was just not there.
- Homework 1 - Jerry has to get the cake from the bakery to the wedding hall. The drive will take him 1 hour and 20 minutes. If the cake needs to be there by 4:15, what time must he leave by?
- Homework 2 - Kyle is able to build a new patio at the rate of 1 square foot per 10 minutes. How long will it take Kyle to finish a 15 x 20 foot patio?
- Homework 3 - Dave is one of the best mechanics in town. Below you will see a time table of how long it takes Dave to make certain repairs. Answer the questions below based on the time table.
The practice problems should be fun for kids, assuming they know their math.
- Practice 1 - Tara goes to the pool at 2 p.m. She swims for an hour and 25 minutes then she walks home. It takes her 10 minutes. What time did she return home?
- Practice 2 - Jerry goes to the beach at 3 o'clock, and he makes 5 sand castles. It took him 25 minutes to create each sand castle. What time was he done?
- Practice 3 - Ned runs the Nerd Hut. They fix all kinds of computer problems. They charge $40 an hour to make repairs or software adjustments. You can see a list of the most common repairs and tweaks they make. It also shows you how long each task takes.
Math Skill Quizzes
See if the timeline in number 1 is helpful.