Simple Subtraction Word Problems
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 1 Operations - 1.OA.A.1
Words That Help You Spot Subtraction In Word Problems - When it comes to mathematics, the toughest part is still word problems. Solving word problems surely seems like the biggest mountain to climb, and there seems to escape out of this confusion. The trickiest part about word problems is understanding the English words and creating a mathematical equation out of it. Once you get the hang of it, solving it seems fairly simple, but the part where you have to translate from English to Math is nearly impossible. But let's not forget that even the most difficult of all problems can be solved, and there is a solution to every problem. There are a few tips that can help you conquer word problems. All you have to do is follow a few steps. The first step requires you to thoroughly read the entire word problem. Trying to solve while you have read only a fragment of the sentence is useless. Read and understand. Second, organize things. Figure out what figure is given, what the variables are, and what figure you need to find out. Lastly, you have to look for the operation that needs to be implicated in the word problem, either addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. Look for keywords! Here is a list of words that indicate using subtraction: Minus, less | Decreased by | Less than fewer than | Save | Comparatives | Left, leftover, after This series of worksheets and lessons helps students learn to identify words that indicate subtract will take place in a word problem.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Straight Problems Step-by-Step Lesson- A true breakdown of the problem to the basic elements of it. Drawing pictures helps too!
- Guided Lesson - Some of the integers used in this might be more geared toward second graders.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - I like to abbreviate a few times in here. Most kids pick up on it quick.
- Practice Worksheet - I packed a ton of useless information into these problems to see if they can find the proper keys to questions.
- Matching Worksheet - Again, some of the integers used here might be more second or third grade level.
- Worksheet Five Pack - I cut the problems down to their bare essentials here. These are outlined word problems.
- Word Problems Five Set of Worksheet - These questions are right on par for this grade level, unlike some of the others.
We breakdown single problems to provide extra support.
- Guided Lesson 1 - Teachers do these word problems in their head everyday.
- Guided Lesson Explanation 2 - The notebook inventory.
- Guided Lesson Explanation 3 - Dennis has a lot of pencils to share.
- Guided Explanation 4 - The baker and her cookies.
- Step-by-Step Lesson 1 - Help Geri with his big candy dilemma.
I made these very clear and straight forward. If you have any trouble with the wording, let me know.
- Worksheet 1 - I keep the numbers small here.
- Beginning Subtraction Word Problems: Worksheet 2 - I use slightly larger numbers than the last sheet.
- Outlined Subtraction Word Problems: Worksheet 1- Less words and more processes are going on her.
- Outlined Subtraction Word Problems: Worksheet 2 - These are great for students with poor comprehension skills. I will help them keep up.