Five Digit Subtraction
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
General Operations - O.A
How to Subtract Five Digit Values - You might get intimidated when you see a five-digit number in front of you. But we assure you that five or more-digit numbers are not as much intimidating as you may find them. The subtraction of a five-digit number is similar to the subtraction of any other number of digits. If you are intimidated by the digits, take a deep breath because this guide will help you through the subtraction of these five-digits numbers. Consider this example, and you will exactly know what to do when you come across a five-digit number subtraction. 94,592 - 76,733 - Now the problem considering the concept of addition and subtraction. What you have to do is borrow a number from a number written over the second number in the problem, and solve the previous number to get your answer. Continue borrowing the number to solve the digits at the right until you cannot borrow any more from the number and your final answer. A collection of worksheets and lessons that help students learn how to find the difference between two large values.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Big Differences Step-by-Step Lesson- This is where place values come in really handy.
- Guided Lesson - I'm wondering if it would better to center the problems on this one. My kids always liked it left justified, but I'm just curious, if it would help to center them.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - It does take a longer time than I expected to explain these.
- Practice Worksheet - Not sure I gave enough space to do all the problems. If it is not enough room, let me know and I'll make adjustments in future pages.
- Matching Worksheet - I was going to call this one, "Recognizing Your Differences!"
Go horizontal with these three sheets to help you kick off or review this skill.
- Homework 1 - 6 reduce by 1 and 4 increase by 10, 14-5= 9, 5-3= 2
- Homework 2 - No borrowing needed here.
- Homework 3 - 7 reduce by 1 and 5 increase by 10, 15-6= 9, 6-5= 1
This is one of the most critical skills that we come across at this level. It is tested at almost all assessments I have seen.