Finding Percentages By Using the Fraction Method
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 6 Ratios - 6.RP.A.3
What is the Fraction Method For Finding Percentages? Percentages mean per 100, and they are very commonly used all around the world. It is one of the most important concepts in mathematics that you will also use in your day-to-day life. Even though in some cases the percentages do exceed 100, but generally percentages are quantity out of 100. So, how do you calculate percentages? Well, you can find percentages by the fraction method. Example: Adam had 50 apples, and he sold 20 on sale day. What percentage of apples were left at his stall? In fraction method you use the following formula; (Quantity required)/(Total quantity) Here; 30 apples are left and the total quantity is 50. 30/50 Now, you simplify the fraction, and you will get 3/5. The last step is to multiply the simplified fraction with 100%, 3/5 × 100% = 300/5 = 60%. A selection of worksheets that help students learn how to determine percentage values by using the fraction technique.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Step By Step Lesson- The catering hall got a bad batch of grape vines delivered. How bad is it?
- Guided Lesson - Lilo makes an awful lot of pizza.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - Who would have figured that a pizza chef would be allergic to mushrooms?
- Using the Fraction Based Method : Worksheet 1 - If it's a percentage, put it over 100.
- Determining Percentage with Fractions Worksheet 2 - If it's good to go, go for it.
I literally use this skill at least twice a day. It helps that I live in a major city.
- Homework 1 - Find the percentage of the following numbers using fraction method.
- Homework 2 - Determine what percentage you are looking for of the integer.
- Homework 3 - Convert the percentage to a fraction.
If you decide to work in construction, this skill is your bread and butter.