Visual Math Patterns
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 4 Operations - 4.OA.C.5
What are Growing Patterns? Before we dive right into our topic, we need to first understand what patterns are. A pattern is a regularity in a design that can include colors, alphabets, or numbers. It is a form of regularity where the order does not matter, and it is not defined by a fixed mathematical model. One of the many forms of patterns is the growing pattern. When the numbers are increasing in a pattern, we term it as a growing pattern. These patterns are always following specific rules while increasing. The two crucial elements of a growing pattern are the terms and the rule that is being followed. A term in a growing pattern is each growing step in the design. The rule is the specific or fixed order with which each number is increasing. When the terms are increasing with a constant difference, then we can term the design as a linear growing pattern. This series of worksheets and lessons will introduce students to patterns for the first time.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Standard Visual Patterns Step-by-step Lesson- We start out with a simple 1-2-3.
- Visual Growing Patterns Lesson - This is where students get just a little confused.
- Growing Patterns Practice Sheet - Let's get a bunch of repetitions for the kids.
- Cut and Paste Patterns #1 Worksheet - You will need some scissors and glue sticks for the kids.
Growing Patterns Homework Sheets
Each part or parts of each sequence of the pattern gets larger. Students need to figure out exactly what does it.
- Homework 1 - Draw to finish the pattern.
- Homework 2 - The easiest way to break down picture patterns is to assign a number value to each picture.
- Homework 3 - You can choose any number for any image.
Cut these pieces out and tell us where they go. These sheets are made to help students build confidence.
Math Skill Quizzes
The first one is just on growing patterns. The second and third are on growing and repeating.