Multiplication 4 Digit (In Grid)
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 5 Numbers - 5.NBT.B.5
What Are Commas Used For In Numbers? There are many rules that are applied in the English Language, the most important being punctuation. We place full stops at the end of a sentence. We use quotation marks when we are using quoted text; question marks when there is a question being asked, exclamation for excitement, surprise, and commas when there are things more than one in a sentence. Just like commas align words in sentences, they are used in mathematics to align numbers. We often see in large numbers; there are often commas placed after a few values. For example: 2,254,807 Here, the commas are placed to make the big number easier to understand and read. For every number that is bigger than the 999 value, commas are placed after 3 decimal values in each number. These worksheets will help students learn how to multiply two values that are in the thousands place.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Big Boy Step-by-Step Lesson- Now that is what I call a product.
- Guided Lesson - If I just had a nickel for every product value in this one.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - The addition can be a little overwhelming for students here.
- Matching Sheet - Tens of millions in products.
- Practice Worksheet - I would recommend doing this slowly over a few days.
If students can simply follow the example, they are off to a good start.
- Homework 1 - You can present this in an expanded form to really make a bold statement at first.
- Homework 2 - This is a neat method for moving through these quickly.
- Homework 3 - I like to multiply piece by piece, but that is up to you.
All the problems are set up in horizontal format to see if rewriting helps the skill sink in a bit more.