Segments, Rays, Lines
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 4 Geometry - 4.MD.5
What Are Segments, Rays, and Lines? We have been studying so much about geometric shapes. Since childhood, we have discussed what are segments, rays, and lines and have learned a lot about them. But when it's actually time to define them in words or when you come across these definitions in your examination. All you do is just fret over what these definitions are since you have no concept of segments, rays, and lines. Segments: Though we all know what a line is, it is actually difficult to define a line in a proper mathematical definition. A line segment contains two endpoints. These endpoints contain all the points that lead to a line segment. You can measure the length of a line segment but not that of a line. Rays: A ray, on the other hand, is a line segment with one endpoint going on infinitely in one direction without the second endpoint. Line: A line is a rough, thin and fine and infinitely lengthy collection of points extending in two opposite directions. These lessons and worksheets will teach students how to identify and use rays, line segments, and basic lines.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Say Hay Ray Step-by-Step Lesson- Learn what a ray, line, line segment, and point are.
- Guided Lesson - I forgot to cover midpoints in this one. I'll have to add another section.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - Make sure that they start by reading their key.
- Practice Worksheet - We give you a healthy offering of items to look at. Label all of them.
- Matching Worksheet - It's pretty much all about the arrows here.
We give you a segment, line, line plot or point. We just ask you to label it; that's all...
- Homework 1 - A ray is a part of a line that carries on forever in one direction. The arrow, once again, shows the side that carries on infinitely.
- Homework 2 - A line is essentially a continuous set of points that continues on infinitely. The arrow indicates infinite travel.
- Homework 3 - A line segment travel from one distance to another. yz appears to be a line segment.
Kids should fly through these, if not, have them practice with Flashcards.
Math Skill Quizzes
These are necessary, but must be the shortest quizzes know to man.
- Quiz 1 - A line segment is a straight line that connects two points. The line does not continue on at all.
- Quiz 2 - There two ends with arrows indicate a straight path that goes on forever in opposite directions. This is line CD or DC.
- Quiz 3 - A point is pictured by a dot. It is named with a capital letter.