Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 6 Numbers - 6.NS.B.3
Tips for Adding Decimals - Learning to add decimals can be a bit tricky at the beginning. It requires careful consideration of the numbers and where the decimal needs to be placed. To learn to add decimals, here are a few tips: Write the numbers down. Each number below the other and all the decimal points lined up. It is important to line up the decimals so that the addition can take place smoothly. Put in zeros so that the numbers can have the same length. The reason we add extra zeros is that it is an indication that "there is no value at the place of this decimal". For example, In the number 10, it indicates that there is "no ones." In number 2.50, it indicates that there are no "no hundredths." Then comes the main part, addition. Add using the columns, remember to put the decimal points in the answer. Let's learn it using an example: Adding 1.452 to 1.3 In this case all the decimal places line up and no carrying is necessary: 2.752 is the end sum. This selection of worksheets and worksheets helps students learn how to find the sums of decimal values.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Howling to the Thousandths Step-by-Step Lesson- We find the sum of two decimals to the thousandths place.
- Guided Lesson - Add decimals vertically and horizontally in this sheet and see how to work through these problems.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - Everything here can be solved in three easy steps. That is off course only when we are worried about numbers to the thousandths.
- Decimal Addition (Thousandths) 5 Pack - A great practice pack for those trying to lock down their skills on this topic.
- Practice Worksheet - I realized after doing this page that I could have given you more room. Instead of rewritten it, I just created another 6 pages.
- Matching Worksheet - The sums are found in both directions here.
- Adding and Subtracting Decimals in Columns Worksheet - This is where I played around a bit with adding tenths, hundredths, and thousandths.
- Adding Thousandths Lesson and Practice - We examine the exact nature of carrying the one with decimals.
- Adding Thousandths Practice Worksheet - A well spaced out version of this skill.
- Adding and Subtracting Decimals Horizontally Worksheet - Believe it or not, a very needed skill. Works in sync with adding and subtracting money.
- Equivalent Hundredths Worksheet - The sums are found in both directions here.
- Adding Vertical Decimals Lesson and Practice - We walk you through it and the Dragon too!
- Adding Tenths Worksheet - What sum makes that whole number?
- Adding By Tenths Lesson - Hello, Mister number line! I was wondering when we would see you again.
I feel that it is very important for students to set up their own problem area with decimals.
- Homework 1 - There is no carrying of numbers in this problem, so everything is very straight forward.
- Homework 2 - Add the digits beginning with the number furthest to the right after the decimal, rename 10 as 1 + 0. Place 1 over the tens and add the carried number over to it.
- Homework 3 - These go out to the thousandths place. We work on adding values in the thousandths.
More of the same, but practice sheet 3 sometimes throws them off with the wording.
Math Skill Quizzes
We throw a little sprinkle of algebra in here to cover two standards in one.