Intersection and Union of Sets Worksheets
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
High School Statistics - HSS.CP.A.1
What Is the Difference Between an Intersection and a Union of Sets? A set is a collection of numbers that is written within curly brackets, set brackets, or braces, with a comma between each member of the set. The members in a set do not necessarily specify a characteristic. Sets are a fundamental concept in mathematics, and without applying them in different situations, sets have no real meaning. There are a variety of properties and functions that we can apply on sets and these include intersection, union, and compliments. Unions and intersections are two opposite functions. A union operation, when applied on sets, results in a set that contains elements that are at least in one of the sets in question. We denote the operation of union using "U" and use "or" to represent the operation in words. An intersection operation when applied on sets, results in a set that contains the elements that are present in all sets in question. We denote the operation of intersection using "∩" and use "and" to represent the operation in words. With the help of these worksheets and lessons students learn how to detect and interpret unions and intersections between statistical probability sets.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Intersection of Sets Lesson- We go over the "and" operations. It is presented in it's simplest form.
- Union of Sets Lesson 2 - This lesson builds on the last lesson and leads us to the final lesson.
- Visualizing the Intersection and Union of Sets with Venn Diagrams Lesson 3 - This lesson sums up the rest of the majority of the standard form of the curriculum.
- Intersection and Union of Sets Worksheet 1 - We ask you to build and interpret a Venn Diagram.
- Intersection and Union of Sets Worksheet 2 - Very similar to the first sheet. For more advanced work check below.
Given Open Sets Practice Sheets
In this series you are given numbered sets and are asked to create Venn Diagrams.
The homework sheets test your complete mastery of the topic. Read each question very carefully.
Quizzes on Sets
The quizzes expect you to understand set notation in addition to the basic concepts.