Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Precursor to Kindergarten - K.MD.B.3
How to Teach Children To Match Pairs - We know that children struggle with memory and to sharpen it, we try different things. One of the main problems that come with memory is to match pairs and children do struggle with it. If you are looking for ways to help children match pairs, we have a few ideas listed down for you. The first step you need to take is to discuss. Tell them that you will show them a few pictures that will be similar. Tell them that they have to remember and match them later on. Second, get them warmed up. Show them one pair. Help them memorize, ask them to recall and then show them some more. Keep practicing this over and over till they start remembering. When you feel, he is ready, switch to more cards. After a few practices, children will be able to match cards properly! These worksheets will help students recognize and identify two similar images.
Printable Worksheets and Lessons
- Matching Cell Phones: Step-by-Step Lesson- You are given a picture and asked to find a match for it.
- Guided Worksheet - Match the car, the keys, and the person who looks like she is doing the Harlem Shake.
- Guided Explanation - I like to do this activity twice. Once in black and white, and then in color. It helps you identify visual problems.
- Independent Practice Worksheet - I had to get socks in on this one. This is what every Sunday is like for me: laundry day.
- Matching Worksheet - These are simple 1:1 matches. Nothing that you need to read into here.
We play match the square. You can also cut them out and turn them over to play a memory game.
- Lesson 1 - The third animal from left of the animal in the box is the same as the animal in the box. Both are frogs. Circle this animal.
- Lesson 2 - The third object from left of the object in the box is the same as the object in the box. Both are ice-cream cones. Circle this object.
- Lesson 3 -The second object (from left, of the object in the box) looks like as the object (pastry) in box so we will circle this object.
- Lesson 4 - Circle the picture that is unlike the others in the set.
Continue working on matching pairs.