Finding Less In Sets
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Precursor to Kindergarten - K.CC.C.6
How to Find Less In Sets We know that the literal meaning of the word "less" is something that exists in a smaller amount. When it comes to talking about lesser quantity in sets, we start by arranging the data set in order, whether ascending or descending order. Let's take an example that Hannah took 8 science tests in one marking period. Her test scores were: 89, 73, 84, 91, 87, 77, 94 Now, when we arrange these numbers in a specific order, we can get the highest number and the lowest number in the data sets. Let’s arrange the number in descending order: 94, 91, 89, 84, 77, 73. As we can see, the last number we have is the smallest number of the data set. These worksheets help students learn to make numeric comparisons and identify the group that has the least value.
Printable Worksheets and Lessons
- Sombreros Versus Leaves: Step-by-Step Lesson - Compare the two sets and determine the lesser of the two.
- Guided Worksheet - The vocabulary word "least" makes an appearance.
- Guided Explanation - Numbering all of them helps a great deal.
- Independent Practice Worksheet - I give you a whole bunch of sets and ask you to find the set with the fewest or least.
- Matching Worksheet - This is a cool one because you follow the answer through to the matching column.
The focus is on comparing two sets. Then we advance to working with three sets.
- Lesson 1 - Count the objects in both groups. There are 4 objects in first group, and 8 objects in second group.
- Lesson 2 - We are looking for the smallest number. The third group only has 2. It is the winner.
- Lesson 3 - There are 5 objects in the first group, 7 objects in the second group, and 6 objects in the third group.
For advanced students, in Worksheet 3 I threw in some practice with adding with 10s.
- Practice 1 - For each problem, circle the group that has the fewest members.
- Practice 2 - In each row, draw a box around the group that has the least objects.
- Practice 3 - Write the number that is ten less than the number given.
- Practice 4 - Draw a box around the group that has the fewest objects.
- Practice 5 - Circle the group that has the least number of objects.