Finding the Equation of Circles
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Expressing Properties - HSG-GPE.A.1
How to Find the Equation of Circles - You must have studied a lot about these shapes? This time around, we are going to focus on how you can find the equations of these glorious figures. First, let's understand the basic definition of this shape. When all the points in a plane are joined together at a given distance (known as the radius), from a given point, which is known as the center. In a circle, there are two important features to consider. A line segment passing through the middle of a circle, connecting any two points on the is known as the diameter. Assume that x and y are two coordinate points on the circle having a center (h, k) with a radius r. Now, here we are using the Distance Formula to find the equation of the circle, which is: (x - h)2 + (y - k)2 = r2. (x2 - x1)2 + (y2 - y1)2. Substitute (x1, y1) = (h, k), (x2, y2) = (x, y) and d=r √(x - h)2+(y - k)2 = r. Square each side. (x - h)2 + (y - k)2 = r2. And you have the equation of a circle! Students can use these worksheets and lessons to learn how to determine the equation of a circle.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- What's My Equation? Step-by-step Lesson - I'm a circle, let me tell you a little about myself. See what you can tell me about me.
- Guided Lesson - We give you some vague characteristics about a circle and you tell us the formula for it.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - We work off of the standard equation and add to it.
- Practice Worksheet - I really find this practice sheet extremely helpful.
- Matching Worksheet - Find the equation that matches each description of the circle.
- Graphs of Circles 5 Pack - These are a real mix. Some graphs, some equations, and some descriptions.
- Standard Form of the Equation of the Circle Worksheet Five Pack - You are given a circumference and radius.
- The Practice Worksheet Five Pack - Switch between the different equation forms in this one.
- Match the Standard Equations and Graphs Worksheet Five Pack - Find the formula that fits each of the shapes.
- Equation, Center, and Radius Worksheet Five Pack - Time to shift around some of the different measures and see what they indicate to us.
Given center points and a radius or diameter, tell us more about the circle.
These questions are more diverse than the homework problems.
Math Skill Quizzes
You will find the most commonly asked test questions here.
How Does This Skill Help You?
If we are able to determine this formula for this shape, we replicate this figure where and when ever we need it. In addition to being able to replicate this you can use it to model an actual structure. If an engineer can communicate this formula to an architect and the architect to foreman and the foreman to the carpenter, a competent and likely structure that can be reliably built anywhere and everywhere. So remember when you need to do anything with a circle being able to determine the formula will give you powerful information that can change how you view the world.