Inscribing Shapes in Circles
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
High School Congruence - HSG-CO.D.13
What are Inscribed Shapes? - Do you like eggs? Then you surely know what they look like. Delicious and yummy with an outer white part and a yellow circular yolk fitting in the center. Do you know the geometrical term for figures like eggs? They are called inscribed shapes. Let's see what the term actually means. Any planar shape that fits into another shape is called an inscribed shape. To understand better, take a piece of paper and draw whichever shape you like. Triangle, square, rectangle, or any other shape. Next, draw another shape inside the shape you first drew such that it perfectly fits inside it. Now take a look. Can you see how one shaping is holding another inside of it? This image in front of you is now called an inscribed shape.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Hexagons Step-by-step
Lesson - How big of a hexagon can you fit into that circle?
- Guided Lesson -
Not only do we shove shapes into circles, but we also ask you to
jam a circle into a triangle.
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- I'm always wondering if this reminds people of the round peg into
the square hole.
- Practice Worksheet -
At first look, these problems should fly by, but they take a good
chunk of time.
- Matching Worksheet
- I'm on a roll here with Geometry, another easy to sort through
I love to see the faces of kids when they see these problems for the first time. The skill looks unattainable, at first.
- Homework 1 - Mark a point anywhere on the circle. This will be the first vertex of the hexagon.
- Homework 2 - Start by constructing a circle. Construct a diagonal through this circle. Extend the diagonal beyond the circumference of the circle. Construct a perpendicular line to this line through the center.
- Homework 3 - Increase the compasses width, just a bit. Place the compass point where each arc crosses the side and draw two crossing arcs inside the triangle.
Bisectors and circle geometry should have been mastered before students move on to these.
Math Skill Quizzes
These quizzes are more artistic than anything else we have seen in this content area.