Understanding the y-Intercept
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 8 Functions - 8.F.B.4
What is a y-Intercept? When discussing straight lines, each and every component of the equation is discussed in detail. In the equation of a straight line, which is y = mx + b; there are 3 different components combined in one equation. One component denotes the slope, one is a variable value and the last component is the y-intercept. Here, m is the slope multiplied by x and b is the y-intercept. But does this little definition of y-intercept makes it clear to you that what is y-intercept? If not, then it is the time to understand the theoretical definition of y-intercept in order to identify it the next time in an equation. In the context of word problems, the y-intercept also refers to the starting value because the x is at zero. This is the point where you start taking the values. When you plot a linear equation on a graph, it is the point where the linear graph crosses the y-axis. At this point in the graph, the y-intercept is the point (x,y) with x=0. The y-intercept is calculated by keeping the value of x equals to zero.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Danny's Cab Situation
Step-by-Step Lesson- We ask you to write an expression for a
- Guided Lesson
- These are word problems at the next level of thinking that students
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- There are a number of ways to solve these types of problems. I
share the most simplified forms with you.
- Independent Practice
- More equation based word problems for you to walk through.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the problems to their equation based solution.
Writing expressions is a prerequisite for this topic.
- Homework 1 - Kelly has to deposit $245 to rent a room and $5 per day charge for a cleaner. Write an expression to calculate the total rent shown by F and number of days by B.
- Homework 2 - At a bakery Harry eats 8 sticky buns in two hours. If he continues at this rate, how many will he eat in 6 hours?
- Homework 3 - Smith is a chip sales person. He gets $50 monthly and $3 per pack of chips sold. Write an equation to show his income.
My granddaughter demanded a dancer question in here. You can thank her for sheet 1.
- Practice 1 - John has an ice cream shop. John sold 15 ice creams in one day. If he continues at this rate, how many ice creams will he sell in 6 days?
- Practice 2 - One day Johnny eats 10 burgers in 5 hours. On the second day he eats 12 burgers in 6 hours. How many burgers does Johnny eat in an hour?
- Practice 3 - Fred eats 10 candies every day. Write an equation that shows the relationship between the number of days (x) and the total number of candies (y).
Math Skill Quizzes
These quizzes can take some time for students to complete.
- Quiz 1 - Rachel eats 4 mangoes in one hour. Write an equation that shows the relationship between the number of hours (n) and the total number of mangoes (m).
- Quiz 2 - John sold 50 candies in one day. If he continues at this rate, how many candies will he sell in 12 days? Solve an equation to find the answer.
- Quiz 3 - Shelly works in a stationery shop. She sold $40 of stationary over 8 hours. Then, next day, she sold $45 worth over 9 hours. How much money did she earn each hour?