Multistep Ratio and Percent Word Problems
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 7 Proportional Relationships - 7.RP.A.3
What is the relationship between a ratio and a percentage? - This is a particular relationship that students fail to understand. This lesson is going to help you with understanding the relationship between ration and a percentage. What is a ratio? A ratio is a comparison between two different quantities. For example, if in a group there are 4 guys and 1 girl, the fraction of the girl in that group will be 1/5 and for guys, it will be 4/5. Now let's jump on to percentages. A percentage is a special kind of ration that represents the quantity of a smaller group in a bigger one. The comparison becomes a lot simpler when it is represented out of 100. For example, 15% and 40% is much easier to comprehend than 3 to 20 and 2 to 5.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Cooking Fractions
Step-by-step Lesson- You need to balance your use of milk and
cream on this recipe.
- Guided Lesson
- Clark is gaining weight these days. The microwave is way too hot;
just to name a few scenarios.
- Guided Lesson
Explanation - I tried to spread the answer out to the best of
my ability on this set.
- Practice Worksheet
- These questions start to introduce decoy numbers in the mix. They
always throw students off. Point them out!
- Matching Worksheet - Remember that on question sets like this, I remove the units of measure to make it challenging.
The difficulty of these grow are you proceed through them in sequence.
- Homework 1 - Kelly wants to make cake that needs 1 teaspoon of cream for every 2 cups of milk. If Kelly increases the amount of milk to 6 cups, how many teaspoons of cream will she need?
- Homework 2 - Paul is getting taller. If Paul’s height increases by 2 cm every 3 months, how much taller will Paul be in 3 years?
- Homework 3 - Joshua eats 2/3 of a burger in 2 days. How many burgers will he eat in 12 days?
I purposely tried to use similar numbers in the ratios to see if students would make sure not to mix them up or worse, cancel them out.
- Practice 1 - Smith drinks 6 glasses of water every day. In how many days would he consume another 30 glasses of water?
- Practice 2 - Samantha can write 1/2 page in 3 minutes. How many pages could she write in 18 minutes?
- Practice 3 - A tree produces 200 apples every year. After each year the number of apples increases by 60 apples. How many more apples will the tree make after 3 years?
Math Skill Quizzes
Three of the questions on this quiz were accepted and used on an older national level exam.
- Quiz 1 - A printer prints 150 pages in a day. After oiling the printer, its efficiency will go up by 150%. How many pages will be produced at this level?
- Quiz 2 - Kelly's bike requires 3 liters of gas to run for 10 kilometers. How many liters of gas does Kelly need if she has to cover 120 kilometers?
- Quiz 3 - If a car takes 2 hours to go 50 km, how much time will it take to go 225 km?