Interpret and Compute Quotients of Fractions
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 6 Numbers - 6.NS.A.1
How to Find a Fraction of a Fraction (i.e. 1/5 of 3/4)? Understanding fractions is essential in mathematics. Fraction multiplication is a sub-category of fractions, which is an essential concept in calculating percentages. Generally, when studying percentages, you multiply a fraction by a whole number. It is the most basic form of fraction multiplication. Example: Find 25% of 100. 25/100 x 100 = 25 "of" in math problems is a keyword that represents multiplication. Example: What is one-quarter of 100. We know one-quarter is. One-quarter of 100 means that we have to divide 100 into four parts and identify one part of it. The same is the case when we have to find a fraction of a fraction. You have to multiply two fractions, and the new fraction that you get is the final answer. Step 1: Replace Off with Multiplication Sign - ¼ x 100 Step 2: Multiply- 100/4 = 25 Finding a fraction of a whole number is simple. Kids might find calculating a fraction of a fraction tough and challenging, but it really isn’t. All they have to do is follow the simple steps of the process of finding a fraction of a whole number. Example: Step 1: Convert of into Multiplication Sign – 1/4 x 2/3 Step 2: Multiplication - Multiply both numerators and denominators. (1 x 2) / (4 x 3) = 2/12 Step 3: Simplification - If possible, simplify the final fraction to get the resulting fraction. 2/12 = 1/6
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Coffee Conversions
Step-by-step Lesson- I always do this in the morning when I
have to split my coffee with my husband.
- Guided Lesson
- We're all about sharing things. In this one we worry about chocolates,
grapes, and toffee.
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- When you are working with simply numbers, it is great to use the
- Practice Worksheet
- This is what typical foreman does everyday. I should know, I was
raised by a family of them.
- Matching Worksheet - I removed the units on the answers to make the answers "not so obvious".
By popular request everything here is in word problem format.
- Homework 1 - Rex throws a party at his house. He invited 200 guests. He ordered 10 pizzas. If 2/4 of a pizza equals a serving size, how many servings of pizza did Rex order?
- Homework 2 - Lea bought a packet of toffees for his friend. The packet of toffees is 2/6 of a pound. He put the toffees into 7 equal amounts in a basket. What is the weight of one of those baskets?
- Homework 3 - Ted went to the market. There he saw some very hot peppers. He kept 2/4 of a pound of the peppers in the fridge that are shared by 30 people. If each person gets an equal amount of the peppers, how much will each person get?
I took away some meet here and made them sentence(s) based word problems.
- Practice 1 - 3/4 of the tables were removed from the cafeteria today. 40 students need to sit in the remaining tables. How much of the original table seating does each student have available to them now?
- Practice 2 - A paper airplane covers 1/12 of a mile in 3 minutes. How many miles can the airplane cover in a minute?
- Practice 3 - Matt uses a 1/4 of a pound of tea every day. For how many days will 2/4 of a pound of tea last Matt?