Percentage as a Rate per Hundred
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 6 Proportional Relationships - 6.RP.A.3c
How to Determine the Percentage of a Value?- Percentage calculation is another important concept of mathematics that has significant use even in real life. Whether calculating the increase in profit of a company or calculation of grades in a classroom, percentage calculations are used everywhere. Percent is a term that means for every 100 and the symbol that is used to represent percentage is %. The symbol is a quick way to right a fraction with 100 as its denominator. Determining the percentage of a value is simple. Example: A classroom has 35 students out of which 25% students failed in the math exam. How many pupils failed the math exam? The question is asking to calculate 25% of the 35. Step 1: Write % as a Fraction- The first step is to write the percentage as a fraction with 100 as its denominator. 25% = 25/100 Step 2: Multiply Fraction with Value- The next step is to multiply the fraction created with the given value. 25/100 × 35 Step 3: Simplify the Final Fraction- Simplify the final fraction that you get after multiplying the percentage fraction with the value. Convert it into a whole number or a decimal value by division and it will be the final answer.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Buying Soap Step-by-step Lesson- Find the best unit price on Soap. In our State retailers have to list the unit price. Wow does it save you!
- Guided Lesson - We tackle a number of everyday problems. We go to the book and handbag shop. We also do some banana math.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - Again, I use ratios in quotient format to make it easier to understand.
- Practice Worksheet - These problems help it to sink in for students. As they say to themselves, "Yes, I am in 6th grade!"
- Matching Worksheet - This worksheet is great to get you prepared for the department store sales.
We are basically figuring out unit cost here for all the sheets.
- Homework 1 - Which fruit is the best buy?
- Homework 2 - Which book is the best buy?
- Homework 3 - Which case of hair conditioner is the best buy?
The practice sheets are much more involved than the homework sheets. They might need help with some vocabulary.
- Practice 1 - George went to the flower shop. There he bought five flowers at the cost of $275. He sold a flower to his friend and got 20% of his money back. How much money did he charge his friend for the flower?
- Practice 2 - Andrew has a canoe shop. Each canoe costs $500. Andrew is having a 20% off sale on all canoes. What is the cost of a canoe now?
- Practice 3 - Mary has 45 ice cream cups. She gives 20% of the ice cream cups to her sisters. Write the number of ice cream cups that she gave to her sisters.
Math Skill Quizzes
The first quiz covers all areas of the skill. The last two focus on the essence of the raw skill.
- Quiz 1 - In November, Jeffry brought ten dresses for $2,200. But one of them he gave to his friend and she paid him 35% of the total cost of all the dresses. How much did his friend give him?
- Quiz 2 - What is - 35% of 80?
- Quiz 3 - Maria bought a pair of sunglasses for $300 and she got a 15% discount on them. What is the total amount of the discount?