Stem and Leaf Plots Worksheets
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 6 Statistics - **Related to 6.SP.A.2**
What Are Stem and Leaf Plots?
Learning to display data in the form of charts, plots, and graphs is an important concept in mathematics. The applications of graphs, plots, and charts in the real world are innumerable. These are even used in multi-national companies, educational institutes, studies and researches, and also on the federal level.
There are a variety of different ways that you can use to display data such as bar graphs, pie charts, histograms, line plots, and stem-and-leaf plots. When studying plots, the stem-and-leaf plots is one of the easiest and useful ones.
It is a special form of table that requires you to split the number into a stem and a leaf. The first digit in the number is the stem, and the preceding numbers are its leaves.
Let us take the example of the number 57; the first digit 5 is the stem, and 7 is the leaf of this number.
Example: Consider the following data set;
21, 22, 25, 30, 31, 36, 40, 43, 44, 46
You can easily represent this data set using a stem-and-leaf plot.
Stem - 2 | 3 | 4
Leaf - 1,2,5 | 0,1,6 | 0,3,4,6
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Officer Trout' s
Step-by-step Lesson- Officer Trout's supervisor wants him to
create a Stem and Leaf Plot.
- Guided Lesson
- See how Mr. Tate's latest science quiz turned out!
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- I used a highlighter and italics to point out where changes
are made in this one.
- Practice Worksheet
- In this version we provide the stem and leaf plot, you provide
the answers to the questions.
Mom to a Mother's Day Dinner - We tie Mother's Day into this
- Advanced Lesson - What do you do when all the data ends in the same terminating number? Terminate it of course!
The first one has you create plots. The second version has you interpret plots.
- Homework 1 - Make a stem and leaf plot for the data sets below. The first one is completed.
- Homework 2 - This stem and leaf plot shows how long (minutes) it took each student in a class to complete a homework assignment.
Here is a boat load of practice for you.
- Practice 2 - Mr. Raines gave a very difficult math test to his class. The scores of the students are displayed in the stem and leaf plot.
- Practice 3 - This stem and leaf plot shows the number of slam points scored by different players in a table tennis league.
- Practice 4 - This stem and leaf plot shows the number of goals scored by players on the Crunch hockey team.
- Practice 5 - This stem and leaf plot shows number clovers found by students during a clover picking study.
Math Skill Quizzes
The quizzes are a really good measure for this grade level. The first quiz is pretty difficult.
- Quiz 1 - Explain this data set by using the technique that we showed you here.
- Quiz 2 - What is the range of data set? You can just run it through all the different sets you have.
What are Stem and Leaf Plots Used For?
These display charts are really helpful to analyze data sets to identify the frequency of a particular data point. When you have huge gobs of data and need to give them a good level of structure, these become very helpful. They relate directly to your standard bar graph because normally the larger the bar, the more frequent a data point appears, but if you have really scattered data bar graphs become too cumbersome. No one would want you to have a bar graph with twenty or so bars on it. The one drawback of using these charts is that often the individual data points get lost in the mix and are a little more difficult to communicate with this method. You find that this type of notation is often used in situations where a ton of data needs to be recorded and analyzed. A good example is when a baseball pitching coach is evaluating his pitchers. On average, amateur pitchers will be able to throw seven different types of pitches (curveball, fast ball, change up, etc.). Over the course of baseball game, a pitcher will throw nearly one hundred pitches. This type of notation lends itself directly to this type of data analysis.