Volume Of Rectangular Prism
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 6 Geometry - 6.G.A.2
How To Find The Volume Of A Right Rectangular Prism - You are now about to learn a new mathematical concept. It is the volume of different shapes. To find out the volume first, you need to what is volume. It is the 3-dimensional space of an object that it occupies when kept in a place. It takes three-dimension to calculate the volume; length, breadth, and width to measure the volume and is measured in cubic units. When it comes to finding the volume of a right rectangular prism, which is a solid geometric having vertical sides perpendicular to the base, this prism is called a “right” prism because the angles between it's base and sides are right angles. The formula is the same if you know the length, width, and height of the prism. Here, l = the length of the base of the prism, W = the width of the bottom of the prism, and H = the height of the lens Consider this example: Find the volume of a right rectangular prism having length three cubic units, width four cubic unit, and height five cubic unit. V = l x w x h, V = 3 x 4 x 5, V = 60 cubic unit.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Swimming Pool Volume
Step-by-step Lesson- I had to do this procedure when I ordered
water for my pool. Many those trucks are expensive. This is where
math saves you!
- Guided Lesson -
Find the volume and area of a carpet, dog house frame, and jewelry
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- I walk you through the formulas, to variable replacements, to
- Practice Worksheet
- I could only think up so many rectangular prisms to put into problems.
Area, Perimeter, Volume of Rectangles 5-Pack - Just about everything
you could do with a rectangular prism at this level.
- Perimeter Matching Worksheet - Height, width, perimeter and area matches for you to make.
Some of these problems were really fun to write.
- Homework 1 - A wall is 12m long, 9m wide, and 6m deep. John wants to know the volume of the wall because he wants to paint the wall. What is the volume of the wall?
- Homework 2 - John buys a rectangular shaped bed for his sister. The bed is 14 feet long by 9 feet wide. John wants to put a cover on the bed, so he wants to know the area of the bed. What is the area?
- Homework 3 - Robert has a cell phone box. The box is 19 inches long by 11 inches wide by 9 inches high. What is the volume of the box?
I started all these problems by picking a cute clip art and working a problem off of it.
- Practice 1 - Liza installs a huge bathtub in her bathroom. Her bathtub measures 15 meters in length, 25 meters in width, and 35 meters in height. What is the volume of the bathtub?
- Practice 2 - Charles buys a table. His table has a length of 12 meters, a width of 17 meters, and a height of 24 meters. What is the volume of the table?
- Practice 3 - John purchased a rectangular foot stool for the table. The stool has a length of 28 cm, a width of 19 cm, and a height of 40 cm. What is the volume of the stool?
Math Skill Quizzes
Each quiz works on a different set of shapes.
- Quiz 1 - Jacob purchased a photo frame in a rectangular shape. The photo frame is 10 feet long by 6 feet wide. Jacob wants to know the area of the photo frame. What is the area?
- Quiz 2 - Emma eats a pizza slice. The height of the slice is 7 in and has a flat base of 10 in. Find the area of the slice?
- Quiz 3 - John goes to the market and buys a book. The book is 30 inches long and 22 inches wide. What is the area of book?
Where Do You Find Rectangular Prisms in Real Life?
These geometric shapes are characterized as three-dimensional shapes that six rectangle-based faces. They also have three common properties held between them. They all have eight vertices and twelve sides. All the opposite faces on this shape are equal. If you take a cross section of these shapes, they will be rectangular in shape as well. Due to these properties this shape is widely used in the packaging and shipping communities because it provides a sturdy and consistent design to hold up in what ever conditions are thrown at it. Shipping containers are the modelled after this shape. Ninety-five percent of the world’s cargo travels around the world these. From the ship to the back of tractor trailer trucks to the store or warehouse near you. This shape is also found in your favorite aquariums due to the consistent design, the pressure created by the water evenly pushes on the walls making for a very stable structure. This figure is at the center of most high-rise buildings. Any design that requires stability and uniformity will usually lend itself to adapting this geometric shape within it at some point.