Line Plots That Display Data
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 5 Measurement and Data - 5.MD.2
How Do Line Plots Display Data? There are number of ways we can visualize the numeric data. Graphs, charts, and plotting on the number line are some tools that help us in displaying the numeric data visually. One common and easy way to visualize the data is through line plots. A line plot is also known as the dot plots and it uses a number line to visually display the numeric data. It is a way to display the frequencies of the numbers. Step 1 - Arrange the Data - The first step to display the numeric data on a number line is to arrange the data. To know the frequency of each number, you can arrange the numbers in an ascending manner. Disorganized data may lead to inaccurate plotting. Step 2 - Use a Dot or a Cross for Representation - The next step is to choose between a dot or a cross. You then have to mark a cross or a dot above or below the number to represent its frequency.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Legos and Left Overs
Step-by-step Lesson- You have a pile of legos and use some to
make something. What fraction of legos are left over?
- Guided Lesson -
These problems are like brain teasers that actually make sense.
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- It is much easier to explain these problems visually.
- Practice Worksheet
- Make a line or box plot to solve all of these, it makes it much
- Reading and Making Line
Plots Five Pack - Breakdown the line plots and make sense of
the whole thing.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the scenarios to their answers. CDs, does any one actual buy those anymore?
We shift focus a little on this skill and move it to containers and volume readings that directly relate here.
- Homework 1 - How much volume would the juice take up?
- Homework 2 - If David has 40 mangoes and took 1/4 of the mangoes to make juice. How many mangoes did he use?
- Homework 3 - Smith is very fond of rose juice. Rose juice consists of rose petals and water. For every serving of rose juice you need to use 30 ml of rose juice. You always match the amount of rose juice with 1/7 the amount water.
A solid mix of problems that combine word problems, volume readings, and fractions.
- Practice 1 - James wants to buy balls. So he bought 63 balls to put in a box. How many balls would he use if he took 1/7 of all the balls to put in a box?
- Practice 2 - How much volume would the tea take up?
- Practice 3 - Suzy wants to buy bracelet. So she bought 50 beads to put in a container. How many beads would he take to put 1/5 of bracelet in the container?
Math Skill Quizzes
We worry all about the data in the quizzes to make sure that we don't lose the eye on the prize of the core skill.
- Quiz 1 - Every year Jackson goes to a garments shop. He bought 20 shirts. He arranged the shirts on a cupboard. In the first row she put 1/5 of the total shirts. How many shirts are on the first shelf?
- Quiz 2 - In a class 40 students. 1/5 students fail and the remaining passed. Find the number of passing students.
- Quiz 3 - Each pizza has 8 slices. Jorge orders 15 pizzas. There 20 people coming to his party. How many slices of pizza could each guest have if the pizza were equally distributed?