Rectangles with Fractional Sides
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 5 Fractions - 5.NF.4
This selection of worksheets and lessons will help you find the area and perimeter of rectangles that contain measures with fractional sides. How to Multiply Fractions with Unlike Denominators Multiplication of unlike fractions with unlike denominators is considered difficult by many students, which shouldn't be the case at all. Let's try and understand how we can multiply fractions with unlike denominators. Let us take an example of distributing a pizza. One person grabs 1/3rd of the pizza, and now you are supposed to share the remainder of the pizza equally between two other individuals. What will the fraction be when divided between them? There are a few simple steps that need to be considered here. - Make an expression by setting up the problem. In this case, the expression will be: 1/2 of 1/3 = 1/2 x 1/3 (Unlike Denominators) The bottom numbers are different from each other. It can be a problem when you are adding or subtracting the fractions, but never when you are multiplying. - Multiply the top numbers with the numerator 1 x 1 = 1 (numerator for your answer) - Now multiply the denominators 2 x 3 = 6 (This will be your denominator) - Now put your answers together which will be = 1/6
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Missing Fraction
Parts Step-by-step Lesson- Use the model to find the missing
part of the fractional product.
- Guided Lesson
- We now start to include finding the area of a rectangle.
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- I work you through the use of the formulas and missing product
- Practice Worksheet
- We hit you with some hard core mixed number products here. Sorry
that it packed together tight. A few teachers request it to be like
- Matching Worksheet - This is one that I used for years. I think it was the only worksheet that I actually used as teacher before this site.
Make sure to allow time for the example to sink in for students. I spent extra time working it for them.
- Homework 1 - Find the area of the rectangle.
- Homework 2 - Complete the multiplication sentence.
- Homework 3 - Practice your mixed number and improper fraction multiplication.
I throw in some fraction operations here. They might be just the trick to spark some past material in students' brains.
Math Skill Quizzes
I removed the rectangles to focus on the underlying core skill to this section. I will add rectangles in future quizzes.
- Quiz 1 - The fractional bar is already set for you.
- Quiz 2 - This is entirely workout for you to set true or falses up.
- Quiz 3 - Fill in all the missing pieces.