Interpretation of Fractions
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 5 Fractions - 5.NF.3
How to determine the fraction of a group? Analyzing grouped data to find out the trends that define it is one of the fundamental concepts in statistics that has its applications in our day-to-day lives. When kids are learning different ways to analyze data, they have to develop strong concepts of determining the fraction of a group. Example: Consider the following data set; 2, 1, 3, 2, 4, 5, 2, 1, 53, 4, 5, 1, 3, 12, 9, 10, 21, 2, 10, 17 What is the fraction of 2s in this data set? Solution: Step 1: Organize the Data - When analyzing the data, the first step is to organize it properly. You can arrange the data in ascending order, descending order, or stem-and-leaf plot; it is entirely up to you. Without organizing the data, the chances of errors are very high. 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 9, 10, 10, 12, 17, 21, 53 Step 2: Count the 2s - The next step is to count the number of times 2 appears in the data set. In this case, you see that 2 repeats four times in this data. Step 3: Create a Fraction and Simplify - The next step is to create a fraction; (Number of times 2 appears in the data)/(total number of values in data) = 4/20 The fraction can be simplified to 1/5, which is the fraction of 2s in the data. These worksheets and quick lessons help students understand the meaning and purpose of various fractions.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Fractions of Squares
Step-by-step Lesson- We give you a line up of squares and ask
you what fraction is yellow?
- Guided Lesson
- We touch on more deep thinking fraction based problems. We give
you everyday scenarios on this one.
- Guided Lesson
Explanation - More of a verbal walk through on these problems.
A little less intensive explanation.
- Practice Worksheet
- I just realized that I really got carried away with the squares,
as far as repetition. I'll write a few more in this section soon.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the fraction, whole number, and/or range to the problem that fits best.
Whatever number the problem is drawing attention to will automatically be your numerator.
- Homework 1 - What fractions of the triangle are orange?
- Homework 2 - If 2 people want to divide 37-kgs of rice equally by weight, how many kgs of wheat should each person get? Between what two whole numbers does your answer lie?
- Homework 3 - Count the total number of squares. We find that there are 5 squares. This is the denominator of fraction.
You will find some complex word problems for this grade level here.
- Practice 1 - If 4 children want to divide 42 pencils equally. How many pencils should each person get? Between what four whole numbers does your answer lie?
- Practice 2 - If 2 people want to divide 29 soda bottles equally, how many bottles should each person get? Between what two whole numbers does your answer lie?
- Practice 3 - What fraction of the circles are purple?
Math Skill Quizzes
I feel like I covered this skill in every way that I can think of.
- Quiz 1 - Jack prepared lemon tea for a party. He used 12 ounces of lemon and 150 ounces of water. He has a measuring cup that is in units of cups.
- Quiz 2 - What fraction of the pentagons are yellow?
- Quiz 3 - If 2 people want to divide 93 chocolate equally, how many chocolate should each person get? Between what two whole numbers does your answer lie?