Measurements in Fractions of a Unit
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 4 Fractions - 4.MD.4
How to Compare Fractional Measurement Units - Before the concepts of fractions came into existence, people used it for measuring different units. Therefore, for you to enhance the concepts of fractions, you must also learn the concepts of using fractional measurement units in your calculations. Let us consider an example. Mr. Thomas is traveling from New York to his home town in his new car. The duration of the distance from New York to his home town is around 3 hours, while the distance is 90 km. He wishes to travel during the night so that he doesn't get stuck with traffic. If he travels in the daytime, then he could reach his home in 3 hours. In other words, he can cover a distance of 90 km in about 30 km/hr. Now, if he travels by night, how much distance can he cover during the night time? After the trip was completed, he calculated that the total time to cover the distance was two hours. So, in other words, he traveled 90 km/2 hrs. So, in an hour, he traveled 45 km/ hr. It is how easy fractions become if you add measurements to it. This collection of worksheets has students learning breakdown measures into fractional units.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Index Fingers Step-by-Step
Lesson- Nine students measured the length of their index fingers.
Tell us all about it.
- Guided Lesson -
These problems take a bit of room to workout.
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- I like to use boxes to work these problems out, but don't be afraid
to use just about anything: happy faces, pictures, what ever works.
- Practice Worksheet
- This is a really long one. Five pages in all.
- Matching Worksheet - See if you like the way I handled the matching questions. I always see this problem on tests; it never fails.
We integrate the data onto a numbers line. This helps students get the content quickly.
- Homework 1 - Find the difference between the longest and shortest finger. Subtract the shortest finger 2 from the longest finger 4.
- Homework 2 - Teachers measured the height of their students in morning daycare. Each child was measured to the nearest 1/4 foot.
- Homework 3 - Display the data on the numbers line plot below. Then answer the questions below the line plot. All measures are in cm.
We give you the flat scrambled data and ask you to make sense of it. I highly encourage using a numbers line.
Math Skill Quizzes
These are very matter of fact. This is what you see on most exams at the State level.
- Quiz 1 - Four different classes measured the length of their pinky fingers (inches). The data can be found below.
- Quiz 2 - Students were each given popsicles and asked to measure the length after eating them for 20 seconds.
- Quiz 3 - The heart walk donated money to charity for walking long distances. Participants walked as far as they could and their distance was measured to the nearest quarter mile.