Area and Perimeter Word Problems
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 4 Fractions - 4.MD.3
These worksheets and lessons help students learn how to tackle word problems that involve finding area and perimeter. What is the difference between Area and Perimeter? When you learn areas and perimeters, you end up pulling your hair; because they both look like the same thing but really are two completely different things. Now, we will list down the differences between the area and the perimeter of a shape. Perimeter is the total distance which is covered around any shape. For example, the length of the fence around a football court is called the perimeter. It is calculated by adding each side’s fencing length. The area is the space covered by the shape within a perimeter. The area is space of land, which the football court is covering. To understand areas and perimeter, let’s play a game. Lets apply this to a local park, the park is a big rectangle. You have to determine its perimeter and area. - Since it is a rectangle, you know that the opposite sides are off the equal length, so, there are two sides of length 150 m and two sides of length 400 m. - For calculating the perimeter, you can just add all the sides together. 400 + 400 + 150 + 150 = 1100 m. The unit will be the same as the unit of length given. - The area of a rectangle is calculated by multiplying length and breadth. So, we have to take only one side of each type. 150 x 400 = 60,000 square meter. The unit is square meter because it covers space taken both by length and breadth.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Oscar's Drawing Room Step-by-Step Lesson- How big is this pup's room? You work it out.
- Guided Lesson - You will find cost incorporated in these problems as we start to look for new approaches toward algebra.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - I take a concise approach on these problems. I usually just slap the units on at the end, but I tried my best to keep them in throughout.
- Practice Worksheet - Who would have know that 2 sentence problems could require a page to answer?
- Perimeter and Area of Polygons Five-Worksheet Pack - Show us your mastery of polygons.
- Matching Worksheet - Again, I purposely left the units off the answers to make it more challenging.
This skill is used so much in the construction of just about every physical product ever made.
- Homework 1 - Adler purchases a new house, but the main gate of house looks ugly because of color. He measures the gate 8 feet by 10 feet. He wants to paint the main gate with white color at a cost of $20 per square foot. How much will it cost for Adler to add color to his main gate?
- Homework 2 - Byron and Cari are best friends. Byron wants to give a collage photo frame to Cari on her birthday. He measures the photo frame at 12 inches by 18 inches. He wants to cover the photo frame with a golden cloth at a cost of $7 per square inch. How much will it cost for Byron to cover his photo frame?
- Homework 3 - Alice already has a TV, but it is black and white. She wants to buy a new color LCD TV. She went to the market and found an LCD TV which measures 20 inches by 26 inches.
I love to give projects on this type of thing. I always have students do real world tasks like determining how many cars can park in a lot.
- Practice 1 - Alex has rectangular cookies. The length of each cookie is 6 cm and the width is 4 cm. Find the area of the cookies.
- Practice 2 - What is the height of a rectangular stone with a perimeter of 260.2 mm and a base length of 75.4 mm?
- Practice 3 - Luca has a keyboard. The length of the keyboard is 18 inches and the width is 10 inches. Find the area of the keyboard.
Math Skill Quizzes
A few of these problems will require some reading stamina on your part.
- Quiz 1 - Gerund is a carpenter. He made a square table. He wants to put a copper sheet on the table at a cost of $42 per square inch. He knows that the perimeter of the table is 120 inches. Calculate the cost of the copper sheet.
- Quiz 2 - Greeley is a name plate designer. He designed a nameplate that was 10 inches by 15 inches. The cost to design these quality plates is $13 per square inch. What was the total cost of the nameplate?
- Quiz 3 - Marshal wants to paint the front wall of his house. He measures the front wall at 12 feet by 13 feet. The cost of paint will be $13 per square foot. What is the total cost of the paint?