Decimal Notation for Fractions (10 or 100 Denominators)
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 4 Fractions - 4.NF.6
How to Convert a Tenth or Hundredth Fraction to a Decimal? Place values play a crucial role in number systems, rounding off, and conversions. It is one of the fundamental concepts of mathematics. There is a unique value of every digit in a number. Whether a digit lies before a decimal or after a decimal, each digit holds a unique value. The smallest place value on the left side of a decimal is unit, and the largest place value on the right side of a decimal is tenth. Before we learn how to convert a tenth or a hundredth fraction to a decimal, we need to first understand what tenth or hundredth fractions are. Consider the fraction; 7/10, it is a tenth fraction, which means seven shaded division our of 10 total divisions between numbers 0 and 1. When we see that the numerator is smaller than denominator, we can say that the value of fraction is lower than one. Therefore, the number on the left side of the decimal can be written as 0. The fraction can be written in decimal form as 0.7. Consider the fraction; 7/100, it's a hundredth fraction, which means out of the hundred divisions between 0 and 1, sevens divisions are shaded. Similar to above example, when the numerator is smaller than the denominator, the number is less than 1. We can write this fraction in decimal as 0.07. A collective of worksheets and lessons to help students learn how to convert fractions with denominators of tenths and hundredths to a decimal form.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Hundredths and Tenths
Fraction to Decimals Step-by-Step Lesson- Convert six tenths
and fifty-three hundredths to decimals.
- Guided Lesson -
Convert fractions to decimals and then back again. Point to decimals
on a numbers line.
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- We show you how to take a quotient and turn into a decimal.
- Practice Worksheet
- We work the skill from top to bottom and then flip it around once
- Compare and Order Decimals,
Percents, and Fractions Five Worksheet Pack - All the usual
suspects show up and you need to compare them.
- Matching Worksheet - Match decimals to their equivalent fractions.
It is good to get students into the habit of dividing the numerator by the denominator. This really is used in all facets of math.
- Fraction to Decimals HW 1 - Fraction to decimal format is simply finding the quotient that the fraction represents.
- Decimals to Fractions HW 2 - We have a number in hundredths format. We can make it a whole number by multiplying both top and bottom by 100.
- Numbers Line HW 3 - 0.43 lies in between 0.4 to 0.5. So, we will put a line or circle in between 0.4 to 0.5 accordingly. Since it is closer to 0.4, the circle will be closer to it too.
The first two sheets are your traditional fraction to decimal and vice versa. The third sheet is a numbers line, by popular request.