Place Value and the Expanded Form of Numbers
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 2 Base Ten - 2.NBT.3
How Does Place Value Relate to The Expanded Form of Numbers?
Place value is an important concept in mathematics. It is one of the first major concepts the kids are taught in school when studying numbers and counting. It helps in laying the grounds for understanding the expanded form of numbers.
Every digit in a number sits in a unique position and holds value. Together these digits make up the value of the number. The smallest place value is the unit place. To understand place value, take the example of the number; 1,243.
1: 1 in the number sits at the thousand's place
2: 2 in the number sits on the hundred's place
4: 4 in the number sits in ten's place
3: 3 in the number sits on the unit place
According to the place value, there are one thousand, two hundreds, four tens, and three ones that are adding to make the number 1,243. The place value helps in writing a number in its expanded form. Now that we have understood the place values of all digits in the number 1,243, we can write it down in an expanded form; 1,243=1000+200+40+3 These worksheets display to students how to relate place value to expanded number form.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Step-by-step Lesson- This one
focuses the three main place values of this standard. I use the
column method again.
- Place Value and Writing
Numbers in Words 5 Pack- Tell the value of the place of the
- Writing Numbers in Word
Format Pack- Write all the numbers in word format.
- Guided Lesson -We
work on number names, expanded to numeric form, and writing expanded
- Guided Lesson Explanation
- I like the way I ended up explaining these problems. Let me know
if I did a good job.
- Practice Worksheet -
You are given an integer in numeric form. You need to convert it
to both expanded and word form.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the expanded and place value forms of numbers.
- Open Ended Integer Problems Five Pack of Worksheets - This is only for very advanced students. A teacher requested this for her gifted class. I'd say it is more of a 4th grade skill.
Tell the place value of the underlined integer, compare number, and write them in expanded form.
- Homework 1- Write the value of the underlined number.
- Homework 2- Identify the numbers that are less than 485?
- Homework 3- What is the expanded form of 251?
We ask you everything from the homework in one pass here.