Estimating Units of Length Worksheets
Students learn how to estimate length with this collection of worksheets. Tips for Estimating Units of Length- Distance and lengths can be estimated by using the method of approximation for measurements. For instance, one meter is less the distance between your shoulder to fingertips, if you the hand is all stretched out. One meter is also the distance of one long jump or large step. Estimation is used when the measuring tools are not nearby or are not available, and you need a value to make an approximate assumption. Remember, approximation doesn’t give you the exact value but a close number. Another tip for estimating length is through comparison if object A is 40 cm and object B is double in size of the length of A. Then, without using any measuring instrument, we can say that length of B is (A x 2) = 80cm. Tip number 3 is using objects whose size is known to measure other objects. For example, if you have a box of match sticks and every match is 2 inches, then you can measure any object in inches using matches. It can give you a closer to the perfect measurement of any object in the proximity.
Aligned Standard: Grade 2 Measurement - 2.MD.3
- Step-by-Step Lesson- How do you estimate the height of your living room? We'll look into it.
- Guided Lesson - We estimate the length of an LCD TV, a tooth paste tube, and a water bottle.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - The explanation is based on recognizing the smaller and larger units.
- Practice Worksheet - These are sentence or multiple sentence based problems that ask you the best units of measure to use.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the objects to the units of measure you would best use to measure them.
- Answer Keys - These are for all the unlocked materials above.
The units of focus are meter, centimeters, feet, and inches.
- Homework 1- Which units are better for estimating the height of a black board? A) Centimeters B) Meters
- Homework 2- Ron goes to the computer shop. He brought a computer. He wanted to know the height of computer. Which units would help him best measure the height of computer?
- Homework 3-Jon drives a smart car. He wanted to know the length of his car. Would he be served better by measuring the units in centimeters or feet?
Read carefully. Some people think every question is asking about the length of anything.
- Practice 1- Which units are better for estimating the height of a man?
- Practice 2- Anna is a ten year old girl. She has a mobile phone. She wanted to know the height of the phone. Should she measure the height in inches or feet?
- Practice 3- Alvin is a forty year old man. He has truck. He wanted to know the height. Should he measure the height in inches or feet?
Math Skill Quizzes
Which unit of measure finds better to describe the object's length?
- Quiz 1-Arnold buys new jeans. He wanted to know the height of the jeans. Should he measure the height in inches or feet?
- Quiz 2- Benet has lots of cars He wanted to know the height of a car. Which units of length should he measure car with: feet or centimeters?
- Quiz 3- James is a shopkeeper. He purchases a scale for measuring items. He wanted to know the height of scale. Should he measure of length be in centimeters or feet?