Visual Sum and Difference Word Problems
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 1 Numbers - 1.NBT.6
How to Convert What You See into Numbers - Just like us, many of you might have wondered too why we need to learn mathematics. Probably it is important because everything around comes in measured terms. From counting ml's in your glass of milk to telling time and keeping track of your pocket money, you deal with numbers all the time. So, here we share a few tips on how to convert your daily activities into numbers. Bake or cook with measurements - Learn about numbers and measurements and ratios, while you cook amazing treats in the kitchen. For example, you need 2 cups of flour to make a 2-pound cake, 1.5 teaspoons in 1 cup of tea. Tell time- Ditch digital clocks, and get back to the basic analog clocks. Tell or calculate time like; 10 mins left for your mathematics class to get over; you will get into bed at 10 p.m, 5 mins till you reach your home. Handle you pocket money- Handling your pocket money will help you play with numbers. Calculate how much money you have spent and how much you have in hand for the rest of the month. For example: left with $10 for the rest ten days. These worksheets can help students begin to make math connection to their everyday.
- Sum Based Word Problems Step-by-step Lesson-
We work with sums of pizza slices.
- Birthdays, Cakes, and Eggs Guided
Lesson - You get a bunch of great word problems with a number
of different ideas to work with.
- Cross Out Count Guided Lesson
Explanation - We have you cross out items and add them at the
- Word Problem Practice -
Work on sum and difference based problems. We give you work space.
- Matching Solutions - We
have you find the solution for all the word problems.
This is great to work on right after they master their counting skills.
- Guided Lesson 1 - This happened just last night. I made a whole bunch of sandwiches that just disappeared.
- Guided Lesson 2 - Getting rid of some four leaf clovers.
- Guided Lesson 3 - Some snails left. How many are left?
- Using a Number Lines With Differences- These are good to get you working in the right direction.
- Step by Step Lesson 1 - Every time I look at these flowers quickly, I swear they are angled fish.
We slowly evolve to using word problems. The progression I have set up here works great, when done in order.
- Independent Practice Worksheet 1 - The word problems are already outlined for you here.
- Independent Practice Worksheet 2 - We start to add a bit of wording to get them ready for full sentences or even paragraphs.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the visual problems with the equations that explain them.
- Visual Problems - Full sentences and questions in the format you are accustom to.