Visual Sum and Difference Word Problems
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 1 Numbers- 1.NBT.6
- Sum Based Word Problems Step-by-step Lesson-
We work with sums of pizza slices.
- Birthdays, Cakes, and Eggs Guided
Lesson - You get a bunch of great word problems with a number
of different ideas to work with.
- Cross Out Count Guided Lesson
Explanation - We have you cross out items and add them at the
- Word Problem Practice -
Work on sum and difference based problems. We give you work space.
- Matching Solutions - We
have you find the solution for all the word problems.
View Answer Keys- All the answer keys in one file.
This is great to work on right after they master their counting skills.
- Guided Lesson 1 - This happened just last night. I made a whole bunch of sandwiches that just disappeared.
- Guided Lesson 2 - Getting rid of some four leaf clovers.
- Guided Lesson 3 - Some snails left. How many are left?
- Using a Number Lines With Differences- These are good to get you working in the right direction.
- Step by Step Lesson 1 - Every time I look at these flowers quickly, I swear they are angled fish.
We slowly evolve to using word problems. The progression I have set up here works great, when done in order.
- Independent Practice Worksheet 1 - The word problems are already outlined for you here.
- Independent Practice Worksheet 2 - We start to add a bit of wording to get them ready for full sentences or even paragraphs.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the visual problems with the equations that explain them.
- Visual Problems - Full sentences and questions in the format you are accustom to.