Data Table Word Problem Worksheets
In this section we look at word problems that accompanied with data table of sorts. You will find that this skill has a substantial connection to the real world. People that work at most businesses are finding that they need to do this many different times throughout the day to make good decisions and in many cases this a very necessary skill to be able to complete your normal daily routine. We help you understand how to approach these types of problems. These worksheets and lessons teach students how to manage word problems that include data charts within them.
Aligned Standard: 3.MD.B.3
- On the Farm Data Tables and Tally Charts Step-by-step Lesson- How eggs does Farmer John's hens produce in a month?
- The Maverick Walking Club Guided Lesson - Billy has a tough task ahead of him. He has to track the mileage of all of the Maverick's walking distances.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - It's amazing what data can tell you. You can infer injuries from athletic performance trends.
- Dog Treats Data - Worksheet 1 - Help Dr. Regan determine which dog treats are the most effective for training.
- Tallies and Frequencies - Worksheet 2 - This is a great lead into percentages and fractions work.
- Tally Data Worksheet 3-Pack Series - A three-sheet series that will help you master tallies. Members only access.
- Answer Keys - These are for all the unlocked materials above.
The work gets successively more difficult as you advance.
- Homework 1 - What is the total number of hours spent studying on Monday, Wednesday and Friday by all the students?
- Homework 2 - Every day John counts the number of each color of car that go by his house. Help him organize his data into a table.
- Homework 3 - Luke loves to attend sporting events of all kinds. Below is a chart of how many games he attended for each sport in a given year.
- Homework 4 - The chart below shows the types of rentals a video store had during the each month.
If you decide to work in a clothing store or a restaurant, this practice set will be a huge help.
- Practice 1 - Sara has decided to create and sell personalized T-shirts for men and women. The table below shows how many sizes of each she sold.
- Practice 2 - The chart below shows the gender, age, height, weight, and math grade for a group of 5th grade students.
- Practice 3 - Jeremy works in a science lab. One of his jobs is to count the fruit flies in each enclosure. Help John by completing the frequency table.
Math Skill Quizzes
The quizzes give many real world problems you will come up against in the future years.
- Quiz 1 - Three children are competing to see who can sell the most lemonade over the summer. Below is the number of cups they sold each month of the summer.
- Quiz 2 - The chart below shows the color and types of cars each salesman sold.
- Quiz 3 - Help Mrs. Smith by organizing these grades into a chart.
How to Make Better Use of Data Tables
Data tables are usually used for representing the relationship between multiple variables. For instance, monthly revenue generated by a company in the year 2009 broken down in a month to month or financial quarter to quarter. This can go even further when deciding to compare the monthly performances of different companies altogether. That is just what tables allow us to do, they help us organize the data to allow use to make clearer and more well thought out decisions.
Data tables have a variety of applications in the professional world like politics, science, and finance. Tables allow a large amount of numeric data to be represented in a more understandable manner. It helps people understand data conveniently. They are often used in the banking sector to make the data more manageable and allow better convenience in understanding it. This in turn helps customers evaluate their financial products and it is ultimate what makes markets move.
A data table compiles data in the simplest of forms for representing the data. It uses rows and columns for data interpretation. Each of those columns and rows identify a contributing mathematical entity that is highlighted by the data. There are some key features that are present on most of these tools that you should be aware of because they will help you better understand how to make sense of the data. Labels are often helpful, but sometimes they are not found at the top of organizer. They can basically be set anywhere that is why it helpful to take your time and read all the labels before looking at any of the values that are present. Pay special attention to annotations that are present. This is where these tables are often misinterpreted. That is because they often indicate a scale that is present. For instance, you may be looking at sales in the millions of dollars or even billions. That would be usually labelled at the bottom of everything.