Rounding Up and Down
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 5 Numbers and Operations - 5.NBT.A.4
What is Rounding Up and Down? Rounding off numbers is something students are made to learn at a very early stage in mathematics. This is because it is crucial to understand the concept as they might need to solve problems that involve rounding off numbers. Rounding means to make a number simpler while keeping its value near or close to the real/exact value. For example, number 73 is rounded off to the number 70, and number 76 is rounded off to the number 80. The number becomes less accurate but easier to use. Similarly, if you have the number 0.1, the number is less than five, so you will round it off to 0, and if you have 0.9, the number is greater than 5 you will round it off to 1. It is important to note that in rounding off, you consider the number lesser or greater than 5 and then round it off accordingly. Rounding off is further categorized into rounding up and rounding down. Rounding up means even if the number is less than 5, say 0.1, you still round it up and make it 1. This is most common in cases when the event involves money. And rounding down means even if the number is 0.9, round it down to 0. This is understandable in situations when you are counting people to fit on a ride if half of a person can fit on the ride, but the other half cannot.; the whole person doesn't fit. And hence the person is eliminated from the count. A series of lessons and worksheets that shows you how to properly round values up and or down.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Rounding Whole Numbers (Tens and Hundreds) Lesson- We break out the number line to help you along your way.
- Guided Lesson - We go over all the major skills in this area includes rounding to the nearest hundredth, tens place, and dollar.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - We explain basic steps and then show you the steps put into action.
- Rounding By Tens Up & Down - A simple warm up for students. We give you a number and you tell us the number that is 10 up and 10 down from the given number.
- Rounding Whole Numbers Up & Down - Another warm-up of sorts round up and down by tens, hundreds, and thousands.
These are just whole numbers with the focus on the tens, hundreds, and thousands place.
- Whole Numbers Up & Down Worksheet 2 - When rounding, the first thing we do is identify the place value that will determine if we round up or down. In this case, we are asked to round to the nearest tens place.
- Whole Numbers Up & Down Worksheet 3 - This means that the place value below the tens (ones) will determine if we round up or down.
- Nearest Hundreds Up & Down - If the ones value is 1 to 4, we round down and make the ones place a 0.
- Nearest Thousands Up & Down - If the ones value is 5 or more, we round up and make the ones place a 0 and raise the tens place to the next higher value.
Advanced Practice Worksheets
We apply this skill to money which is really just a shortened decimal rounding.
- Nearest Dollar Value Up & Down Worksheet 1 - Round to the nearest ten dollars above and below, and circle the rounded number that is closest to the given number.
- Nearest Dollar Value Up & Down Worksheet 2 - Identify the place value that is in question.
- Decimals Up & Down Worksheet 1 - Make all the values below the place you rounded, zero.
- Decimals Up & Down Worksheet 2 - Round to the nearest thousandths place above and below, and circle the rounded number that is closest to the given number.