Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 5 Numbers and Operations - 5.NF.B.7
How to Round Fractions - Rounding off fractions is perhaps one of the most useful skills that can be used in mathematics. Rounding of fractions involves understanding the closest value achieved from the actual answer. Confused? Ok, let me clarify that for you. When we are rounding off a fraction, we are basically asking the question, whether the answer is near to its half, zero, or the full. For instance, let's learn to round off with the help of a few examples. 1. Suppose we have a fraction of 99/100 that it is obvious that the number above is closer to the number below, which means that the answer will almost be equal to 1, which is the whole. 2. In our second example, we will take a closer look at something a little more complex, like 7/12. To solve this fraction or rounding it off, we can use three different fractions and see which one it is closest too. 0/12, 6/12, and 12/12. Now pay close attention to the actual fraction, we can see that the number closes to the half, i.e., 6/12 Hence, this is how we round off fractions in mathematics. These lessons show students how to approach rounding fractional values.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Nearest Half Step By Step Lesson- Kids should be comfortable with a numbers line at this and it is the key to cementing the concept for them.
- Nearest Whole Number Step By Step Lesson - It might be good to start with this lesson and then move to halves.
- Guided Lesson - We go over the big three here: halves, fractions to whole numbers, and mixed numbers to whole numbers.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - Students should be able to produce their own numbers line at this level. Some teachers like to start with prompts, which we recommend.
- Rounding Simple Fractions Worksheet 1 - We start by rounding to halves and not jumping over a denominator of 15.
Basic Level Practice Worksheets
The first start without any visuals or prompts. You can advance to those after using prompts.
- Simple Fractions 2 - Round the following fractions to the nearest half.
- Simple Fractions 3 - This would mean 0, 1/2, or 1.
- Halves with a Number Line Worksheet 1 - A nice way to see how simple fractions should be rounded is to use a numbers line.
- Halves with a Number Line Worksheet 2 - Break the number line into as many parts as the denominator of the fraction.
- Nearest Whole Number with a Number Line 1 - You will need to place a point of reference of all the half values available on the line.
- Nearest Whole Number with a Number Line 2 - Make sure to label the possible whole number values (0 or 1) on the numbers line. Identify where the fraction falls on the numbers line.
More Advanced Practice Worksheets
Mixed number will, many times, confuse students until they have some success with it.