Rounding Large Numbers
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 4 Numbers and Base Ten - 4.NBT.A.3
How to Round Very Large Numbers - Large or complex numbers are difficult to work with. Often times, they do not give you the exact value or the exact answer you have been searching for; in fact, you get a large, overly crowded number as an answer. In such a case, an old concept of mathematics comes for rescue, and that concept is the rounding off large numbers. So how can you round off very large numbers? Consider the place value mentioned to where you have to round off the number. For example, if the number says, round off to the nearest hundred thousand (100,000) identify the place value of the number and then consider and then round it off to it's nearest multiple. If the number nearest to the place value is 5 or above 5, the number is rounded up. For example, a number 67 is rounded off to the nearest ten as 70. If the number rounding off is less than 5, then you will round the number down. The number 24 is rounded down to 20. These worksheets and lessons help students become comfortable with rounding very sizable values.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Very Large Numbers Step By Step Lesson- This is a two-page stepped lesson. You start with ten-thousands and move to millions.
- Guided Lesson - We added decimals to throw in a bit of hesitated learning.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - Every step of the process is outlined and then acted to explain further.
- Nearest Hundred-Thousand Worksheet 1 - There are mixed decimals scattered through out this.
- Nearest Hundred-Thousand Worksheet 2 - See if you get the concept of the hair dryer.
Set Place Value Rounding Worksheets
Make sure to remind students the importance of commas in large integers when rounding.
- Nearest Ten-Thousand Worksheet 1 - Round the following decimals to the nearest hundred thousand.
- Nearest Hundred-Thousand Worksheet 2 - Determine the place value of every number.
- Nearest Million Worksheet 1 - We look to the place value to the right of that place (thousands). If that number is 5 or greater, we round up. Otherwise, the number stays as is.
- Nearest Million Worksheet 2 - All the number to the right of that place turn to zero.
Mixed Place Value Practice Worksheets
We three activities in one for each sheet here.