Aligned To Common Core Standard:
High School - HSN-Q.A.3
How Do You Go About Approximating a Value? Approximation takes a crucial place in mathematics. Approximating a value is the act or a process of finding/calculating a value that is considered acceptable or close to an exact value. This value is then called approximate value, and the act/process is called approximation. In scientific experiments and engineering, approximation has always played a key role because it is always almost impossible to find the exact answer to a certain value. There is always a need to approximate value because it is impossible to make accurate measurements and also because certain numbers are difficult to express in decimal notation. For such cases, approximations are used. For example, if you have to approximate decimal or irrational numbers, such as pi that are nonterminating or nonrepeating decimals, the number 3.1415926 can be approximated to 3.14 or 3.1416 and so on until the desired accuracy is reached. The method of approximation is not merely limited to problems or simple numbers. It is also used for complex mathematical concepts. These are widely used in graphs and calculating the value of a function also. These worksheets and lessons help students understand how to identify an value that is acceptably close to an expected value.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Lots of Approximating Lesson- Take a single value and rewrite based on hundreds place, significant figures, and decimal places.
- Matching Sheet- Some values might be able to cross over, but in order for every problem to be correct you need decisive choices.
- Approximating All Kinds of Values Worksheet 1 - You are given a decimal value and asked to approximate it in sig figs, basic place value, and whole numbers.
- Approximating Powers of Ten - Watch that decimal point just bounce around everywhere.
- Approximating Decimals - More fun with decimals for you.
More Practice Versions
One for each of the basic approaches to renaming numbers.
- Powers of Ten Worksheet 2 - Identify the place value that is needed for each case.
- Decimals Worksheet 2 - Round to off each number from one to four.
- Significant Figures Worksheet 1 - We are asked to rewrite the value in 1-4 significant figures.
- Significant Figures Worksheet 2 - The more practice you can have, the better.
All Kinds of Practice Worksheets
These sheets cover all major forms that students will encounter until they reach trigonometry.