Rounding Integers Based on Place Value
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 4 Base Ten - 4.NBT.3
How to Round Values Based on Place Value - Sometimes you need rounding off of numbers to make them simpler and easier to understand. Rounding off is also used for eliminating the decimal points in the number. This tutorial discusses number place values, the mathematical rules of rounding, and gives plenty of examples. Each digit in a number has a position called its place value. Look at the image below. To the left of the decimal point are integers, and we reference these place values as ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, and so on. To the right of the decimal point are decimals, referenced as tenths, hundredths, thousandths, etc. As we move from right to left in a number, each place value is ten times larger than the place value to its right. These worksheets and lessons reinforce the concept of place value and we have students learn how to round to fixed places.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Tens and Hundreds Step-by-Step Lesson- Use numbers and words to find just the right place.
- Guided Lesson - Pay attention when working on this one. There are a number of changes that happen quickly through out the problems.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - I love using the ones, tens, hundreds, column chart to explain these; you should try it.
- Practice Worksheet - A nice mix of problems that mimic the guided sheet.
- Matching Worksheet - Since there are at least two parts to every problem, it is pretty easy for kids.
- Worksheet Five Pack - You might get sick of rounding everything to the nearest ten; this just might do it.
- Rounding To the Nearest 100s Lesson - I buried everything in word problems.
- Rounding and Estimate Based Word Problems - A practical way of handling these things.
- Rounding With the Help of a Numbers Line Lesson (Tens Place) - Use the numbers line as a guide to help you through everything here.
- Rounding to the Nearest Tens Place (Under 100) Lesson - Another walkthrough on the 100s place for you.
- Estimating Differences Based on Rounding Worksheet - A nice way to transition to differences and estimation from place value.
- Rounding to the Nearest Tens Place - Great for a quick refresher for you.
1. Find the underlined place value. 2. Complete the expanded form for each number in standard form. 3. Compare the place values.
- Place Homework 1 - Multiples of 100 always have zeroes in the ones and tens place.
- Expanded Homework 2 - If the hundred place number is 5 or higher, we round to the higher number.
- Compare Homework 3 - Multiples of 1000 always have zeroes in the ones, tens, and hundreds place.
I receive a great deal of positive feedback on these sheets. Most teachers love the diverse questioning technique.
Math Skill Quizzes
You will find that these are all relatively at the same level for the same skills.