Identifying and Complete Math Patterns
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Grade 5 Operations - 5.OA.B.3
How to Look for Patterns in Number Sequences - Have you ever played, "hangman?" The game where you have to fill the missing letters in the blanks till you guess the word completely? It is really fun to play, right? Well, similar to the game, math has a number series that goes on and on. The secret to filling the number in the sequence is to find the pattern that is being followed. Before we move on to find the pattern, it is important that you first know what sequence itself means. In math, the word sequence refers to a set of things, usually numbers that are presented in order. Every number in the sequence series is known as term, member, or element. The next step is to find what the pattern is, or what rule is being used in the given sequence. For example; 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, ... The dots at the end of the sequence indicate that the sequence is infinite. In the example, the pattern used is odd numbers. To find out the pattern, it is important that you thoroughly look at it. Just like this sequence, there are other sequences with patterns. You can solve them by paying attention; they are quite easy! These worksheets and lessons will help students learn how to spot missing sections of math patterns and have them complete them.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- Filling In Patterns Step By Step Lesson- What is missing in these patterns?
- Filling in Patterns Guided Lesson - You will find single and double step applied math patterns in here.
- Filling in Patterns Guided Lesson Explanation - This one does take quite a bit of explaining.
- Filling Patterns Worksheet 1 - Starting here is a really good idea.
- Function Machine Practice 1 - The first one is completed for you as a guide.
Two Rule Pattern Sheets
The first two involve double patterns. The last one focuses on identifying fixed patterns.
- Homework 1 - Find the difference or operations between successive boxes.
- Homework 2 - Since it follows a pattern, whatever operation was applied to the first number, must be applied to the second number too.
- Homework 3 - Identify the number pattern and fill in the missing numbers.
Complete the incomplete is the basic theme we have going here.