What Doesn't Belong
Aligned To Common Core Standard:
Kindergarten Measurement - K.MD.A.3
How to Determine What Does Not Belong In a Group - Guessing something that is present in a set or a group but doesn't belong there is an important skill to learn. It enhances the analytical ability of a brain and proves to be useful in many situations. These types of questions are often asked in employment and aptitude tests because they test your analytical thinking ability. They are comparatively simple to solve. However, a few of them, at an advanced level, can be a bit tricky. There is a simple trick of solving such questions. You just have to pick that one thing that doesn't blend with others of the set. For example, in the case of four shapes, three can be four-sided while the fourth one can have only three sides. All are shapes, but the catch here is the number of sides each shape has. While all the shapes have four sides, there is one that has three sides, hence the odd one. So, it doesn't belong to the group and should be picked as the answer. There can be other cases as well in which it can become tricky to guess what doesn't belong to a group, but all such questions revolve around a basic technique. Learning and mastering that can help anyone solve any such questions. These worksheets and less help students understand which object might be odd in a set.
Printable Worksheets And Lessons
- What Sticks Out? Step-by-Step Lesson- Which of these stick out like a sore thumb?
- Guided Lesson - These shouldn't baffle kids at all. They are very straight forward.
- Guided Lesson Explanation - I found this very difficult to explain outside of the obvious.
- Practice Worksheet - There are four objects in each of these. This makes for a great sorting skill starter.
- Matching Worksheet - Match the odd man out.
- Animals What Doesn't Belong Lesson- There is an odd man out in this one. Or should I say odd pig out.
- Find the Different Worksheet - This are pretty simple for most students. Not as challenging as other sheets in this section.
- What Doesn't Belong Worksheet- I numbered or labeled everything so that it could serve as a class wide activity, if needed.
- Food Circle What Doesn't Belong Lesson - Fruit versus food stuffs is an abstract concept for some students.
- Grouping Like and Different Lesson- Would you believe that the whale comes up often because of it's size?
- What Doesn't Belongs Independent Practice Worksheet- It might be easy to spot that I put this one together on an Easter weekend.
- Objects What Doesn't Belong Lesson- We get some more work in on plotting data charts and the comparing items.
- Find The Odd Lesson- The panda kind of sticks out like a sore thumb or a needle in a really, really small hay stack.
- What Doesn't Belongs Practice Worksheet- The last one trips up a lot of students because they never knew that cartoon animals walk on two legs.